AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Tue February 20, 2018, 1:42 pm
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

wtb: open 3.25, 3.46, 3.73 diff
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:33:57

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › Other BMW Models › Shadowlined the Touring
Shadowlined the Touring
Everything manufactured by BMW, branded or not
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:43 pm
Post subject: Shadowlined the Touring

Like a lot of you, I hate my chrome-line trim. I've looked into all of the ways to get shadowline (purchase from dealer, purchase from junk yard or private party [yeah right!], plastidip, paint it, or vinyl)...

Purchase from dealer: optimal choice, but can't justify the cost when I need wheels and suspension too. I've priced out OEM trim and I'd spend as low as $450 (plus shipping) and as much at $1,500. Taking the trim off intimidates me anyway, but at least if I screwed up taking the stuff off I'd have a new set for a body-shop to install.

Purchase from junk yard or private party: not enough time to search junk yards; pretty rare to find touring shadowline trim and I'd probably have to piece a set together (who knows how long that would take); and I can't find anyone in their right mind or otherwise to trade or sell.

Plastidip: I wasn't confident that I could mask off the trim well enough to attempt this and I wasn't keen on peeling it off if it got ugly. After doing the vinyl, I'd be more confident to attempt this. I could remove the trim and plistidip, but I'm way too intimidated by the idea of removing the trim. If I ruined it, I'd have an expensive remediation effort on my hands.

Paint it: too much prep-work and few alternatives if you screw it up. I could remove the trim like I said in regard to the plastidip option, but again, I'm way too intimidated by the idea of removing the trim.

Vinyl wrap: this is the avenue of choice, at least in the short-term. I hope to buy the real stuff eventually, so this will keep me from puking at the sight of my chrome-line. It's cheap (around $26 shipped), reversible, and looks darn near like genuine shadowline until you get within 3-5 inches.

Drawbacks to the vinyl wrap are that there's a steep learning curve in working with it - especially with the narrow and curvy nature of the trim. The learning curve isn't insurmountable, but it's there and like 95% of everything else, it pays to take your time and not cut corners (no pun intended). Second, no matter how hard you try, it's just not going to be perfect. If I weren't concerned that I've already bored you, I'd elaborate, but it suffices to say that you can't get it perfect unless (maybe) you work with vinyl professionally.

There's a lot to say for having the right tools, so I don't have much more to say... Here are the pics:

Before:

After:

Stevohill
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:28 pm
Post subject: Re: Shadowlined the Touring

Looks awesome. Amazing how a little mod with affect the entire look of the car.

WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:30 am

coulda painted em for around $200..done a ton of em!
Wiluven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Looks good!

This is one of the best mods I (paid Justice) did to my car. The chrome looks like shite!
boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm

jnfkustomz wrote:
coulda painted em for around $200..done a ton of em!

Do you remove the trim or tape it off? I wish I knew about this, but at the same time $26<$200 and for a couple hundred more, I could have the OEM trim.

Stevohill wrote:
Looks awesome. Amazing how a little mod with affect the entire look of the car.

Thanks man. I agree: total transformation.

Unfortunately not enough of a transformation to make the wheels and stance acceptable. Embarassed
jnfkustomz
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:50 pm

most come off..the problem with vinyl is its arizona..that stuff will not last at all here! i ve seen a bunch of cars with it done and it looks horrible up close and once it starts drying out/shrinking/peeling..yuk.then you will be replacing all your trim.
boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:10 pm

What do you mean by "most come off"? Are you saying that you remove the trim before painting it or that vinyl eventually comes off? If the former, which cars fall into the "most" category? E39 wagons, by chance?

And when you say "then you'll be replacing your trim," do you mean the actual trim or the vinyl wrap?

I read that this vinyl stuff (at least the stuff I bought) holds up well to the elements and won't do what you say it will do, but I don't drink koolade and will take a wait-and-see approach. It's easily reversible and a relatively low cost, so even though I hope it doesn't go bad, if it does, like I said: it's reversible.
jnfkustomz
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm

true..most pieces come off to be sprayed some do not..instead of taking risk of bending or replacing them, i paint em on the car..i did wiluvens 335i and did not remove any of them..i actually take my time taping everything off..sanding, cleaning, re-taping and masking up complete car.his moldings are holding up very very well,,as well as scotts 330i..if you want to re-tape them then by all means keep on doing it.yes it does make it reversable. but how much time and money do you want to spend redoing them every so often...and no vinyl does not hold up well in arizona. i read that carbon fiber parts come uv coated..but it doesnt. i dont believe shit that i have read and have learned from experience.
hon2bmw
Curb Surfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Do you put your car in a garage? Is it under covered parking when you are work? If so, I would say the vinyl will last just fine.

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:04 pm

It doesn't sound like the numbers for trim that comes off for painting fall in the "most" category - more like "seldom." Not that your taping-off activities aren't sufficient, I trust that they are.

If I wind up having to re-tape often, I'll consider the paint option (or OEM shadowline trim).

On an unrelated note, some might consider it rude to leave such negative comments on someone's mod thread. I understand that you have to promote your business, but a "nice job" or "looks good" would probably go further to endear you and your services to the average Joe.

Just sayin'.
jnfkustomz
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 pm

WTF? Im not promoting my business.Everyone knows who I am..so why say anything. I think its rude for any jackass to not take constructive criticism..I simply offered an alternative to your cheap ass tape route. I never said your car looked like shit because of the tape. Im sorry but the cheap routes never look good to me no matter what it is. I am entitled to my opinion on a public based forum. whats next window tint on your taillights?
boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 pm

jnfkustomz wrote:
WTF? Im not promoting my business.Everyone knows who I am..so why say anything. I think its rude for any jackass to not take constructive criticism..I simply offered an alternative to your cheap ass tape route. I never said your car looked like shit because of the tape. Im sorry but the cheap routes never look good to me no matter what it is. I am entitled to my opinion on a public based forum. whats next window tint on your taillights?

Wow. I had a feeling that you would react that way.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion and with that opinion I have no issue. It's your inconsiderate wielding of it in my thread which rubs me the wrong way. (This, by the way, is constructive criticism.)

Here's some more constructive criticism: you don't know me. Going forward, you might consider respectfully disagreeing with someone you don't know. It just may work out in your favor. But I guess you already have so many friends that you don't have to treat people you don't know with a little bit of respect and dignity.

Thoughts?
jnfkustomz
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:55 am

lol...really... I treat everyone with respect until they cross the line of talking sh&t, even in a polite way..and how did you think someone was gonna react..you dont know me either...i will call you on ur shit..as well as a lot of members here. this isnt YOUR thread..its the forums thread..if you dont want people posting on YOUR THREAD the go start your own website...I did respectfully disagree with you. Im just sayin.
boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:58 am

You don't understand a thing. I tried being nice. Now I'm done with you.

Take a look in the mirror and find all of your problems looking back at you.
jnfkustomz
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:14 am

I GUESS NOT!! Thoughts?
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models
Page 1 of 2