AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Wed June 20, 2018, 5:54 pm
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › General Forums › New Members › Time for an introduction
Time for an introduction
A place for our new members to introduce themselves
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  New Members

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfp9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 pm
Post subject: Time for an introduction

Hey all, my name is Ben, my family moved from Minneapolis to Scottsdale two years ago. I am a junior in college in upstate New York, and have had two BMWs so far. A 1995 E34 525i/5 that was a great first car. Then I moved on to a 2000 E39 M5. Many of you are probably asking how the hell I acquired an E39 at the age of 18 - I worked at a BMW/Audi/Porsche/Mercedes shop back in MPLS as a tech assistant. I basically did oil changes, brake pads, spark plugs...etc. Anything more difficult and I left it to the masters. A lady brought the M5 in to the shop, it needed both valve covers, both rear output shaft seals, and tires. We quoted her at 4k for everything (including tires mounted and balanced). She didn't want to pay that for a car that was never driven. I offered her 12.5k for the car, (KBB had it at 21k) and she agreed. I transferred the title that day, went to my bank had them transfer all of my money basically hahahaha and I drove home the car that day and told my parents I had a different car. They....weren't very happy.

In short - I got a 2000 M5 with 39k miles on it with winter wheels, and all options (MSRP in '00 was 91k) for 12.5 that needed some work - but nothing I couldn't tackle myself and with the help of my mechanic buddies if I gave them beer money hahaha.

The M5 is no beauty queen. I have taken her to the track 4 times. She has about 500 track miles I would guess. I don't know for sure. I've run over cones, nearly hit tire walls, and really learned how to drive on this car, but she has taken it all in stride. She's sound mechanically, not so sound cosmetically.

Mods on the M5:
SuperSprint headers
Billy Boat Axle back
UUC SSK w/DSSR
Bilstein PSS lowered 2 inches all around
Dinan Swaybars

Stock it dyno'd at 343whp and 338lb/ft.

If I had to guess, I might be at 350whp and 350lb/ft. I really need to get a tune, but I also am contemplating a Stage 2 ESS kit and having them install it in their shop down here. We will see.

On to the pictures:

Here she is filling up in Sedona.
DSC_0533 5 by bfp9, on Flickr

Parked while the lady friend and I go for a hike. The front was brought down about another two inches after this trip. I really need to get some updated pictures.
DSC_0542 2 by bfp9, on Flickr

DSC_0539 5 by bfp9, on Flickr

I'll get some better shots of it sometime soon and post them up if I remember.

Here is a video of the exhaust note:

vimeo.com/99393523

I'm sure I'll see some of you around.

-Ben
ccc13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 pm
Post subject: Re: Time for an introduction

Hello sir Ben! Nice car, welcome to AZBMW, and welcome to the oven. Whereabouts in upstate NY do you go to school?
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Oh welcome. Good to see you finally made it on here. I remember you're car. Bilstein coil overs all around correct?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
bfp9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:11 pm

ccc13 wrote:
Hello sir Ben! Nice car, welcome to AZBMW, and welcome to the oven. Whereabouts in upstate NY do you go to school?

I'm a junior at West Point. That's a nice looking bird in your avatar there - you fly?
bfp9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 pm

bastarde38 wrote:
Oh welcome. Good to see you finally made it on here. I remember you're car. Bilstein coil overs all around correct?

Yup. You on BFC as well?
giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Welcome to the group and thank you for being a good sport!

bfp9 wrote:
bastarde38 wrote:

Yup. You on BFC as well?

He was, but big red is a trouble maker. I'm pretty sure he is in timeout.

xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:07 am

Thank you sir, welcome! Great story of how you got the car

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:23 am

bfp9 wrote:
I'm a junior at West Point. That's a nice looking bird in your avatar there - you fly?

West Point? Pff, that's wayyy downstate! I don't fly; I design and manufacture. I have flown the simulator for the E model a few times and managed not to crash, though. Are you a pilot or planning/training to be one?
tttoon
Yuro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 am

bastarde38 wrote:

*your

edit: and welcome! Any pics of the headers? Everybody loves header pics.

"It looks like an M5, but is actually a '99 323i"
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 pm

That's what she said. Boo hoo!

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 pm

tttoon wrote:
bastarde38 wrote:
*your

My mac autocorrects.

Dude thats so cool you go to West Point! Thats where i grew up, right there in Highland Falls. How do you like it there?

No I'm not on Bf.c anymore i got TO'd. I know about your coil overs because i installed them as well as your exhaust.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
bfp9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm

ccc13 wrote:
bfp9 wrote:

West Point? Pff, that's wayyy downstate! I don't fly; I design and manufacture. I have flown the simulator for the E model a few times and managed not to crash, though. Are you a pilot or planning/training to be one?

I'd love to be a pilot - fly apaches or whatever bird is replacing the "little bird". But I'll likely end up Infantry.

I've jumped, fast roped, repelled out of blackhawks and chinooks though.

Helicopters actually freak me out to some extent. I've had to do a couple of presentations of the technology that helicopters use to maintain lift......in a way dumbed down and simplified form, they basically just beat the living piss out of the air to maintain flight.

I like this bird but it's being replaced:
IMAG0041(20130908-140527) by bfp9, on Flickr

This is an Apache that has a funny name, the "cremator":
IMAG0039(20130908-140456) by bfp9, on Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/...otostream/

Those things truly do rain down hell. Youtube them if you get bored one day and are in the mind frame to watch.
bfp9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:57 pm

tttoon wrote:
bastarde38 wrote:

*your

edit: and welcome! Any pics of the headers? Everybody loves header pics.

I don't think I have any of them unwrapped - this is all I got.
DSC_1738 by bfp9, on Flickr
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeah those Kiowas i think are a great bird they should keep around for a long time. Its like a scaled down Apache. Shame, I've seen them in action personally and wouldn't mind a couple watching my back out on patrol.

Good thing everyone knows the Apache will be around for a while longer.

bfp9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:03 pm

bastarde38 wrote:
tttoon wrote:
bastarde38 wrote:
*your

My mac autocorrects.

Dude thats so cool you go to West Point! Thats where i grew up, right there in Highland Falls. How do you like it there?

No I'm not on Bf.c anymore i got TO'd. I know about your coil overs because i installed them as well as your exhaust.

You grew up in Highland Falls?! Hahahaha no way. And also such a small world that you installed them! Babbit? You did a damn good job. I didn't have you put the front low enough the first time, but I fixed that in 30 minutes in my garage.

Highland Falls is a tough place man. I don't mean to sound bad, but just about every week or two a cadet gets mugged, and we've had a couple even get stabbed (cadets think they are invincible and can take anyone, no matter if they have a weapon or not.) I don't know if you have been back recently, but they have definitely tried to clean the area up a little bit, the museum has had some work done, they brought in a couple of new restaurants like American Burrito. Highland Falls Market no longer delivers food because their building didn't pass code and their kitchen was deemed unsanitary. Schades is still around. Dong Fong is absolutely horrible. Terrible.

Dude great to see a familiar face on here. I mean I'm sure I saw you at Babbit when you were doing the work.
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  New Members
Page 1 of 2