AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Tue October 24, 2017, 3:38 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 18:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Sep 30, 2017 at 20:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 02:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 16:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 18:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 20, 2017 at 20:34:29

wtb: open 3.25, 3.46, 3.73 diff
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 20, 2017 at 20:33:57

Looking for an E36 M3 - 5 speed
Last post by ambition in General Discussion on Jul 01, 2017 at 22:50:51

WTB BMW E21 back seat
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Jun 12, 2017 at 15:50:33

Mpg drop
Last post by bmw325i in 5-8 Series on Jun 08, 2017 at 21:11:14

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › Other Models › Thoughts on Mercedes C230
Thoughts on Mercedes C230
Everything non BMW
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Other Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanboi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:48 am
Post subject: Thoughts on Mercedes C230

Its getting time that my Fiance get another car and I want to get her out of the Infiniti G20 she has now. Its got a lot of miles and its starting to show wear pretty bad.

I have been looking at cars for less than 10K, because im not rich and want to keep payments low, and the Merc C230 keeps coming up. Is there something wrong with these cars that they are going for such low prices or is it just a good bargain Mercedes?

If its a crap car, im interested in seeing what you guys think a good car under 10k really is. I want to stay german if possible because im tired of working on her car and mine is sooooooo easy. I understand its an e30 but still, japanese FWD cars are such a pain. FWD cars are in general. So shoot me some ideas and let me know what you think

John

Here is an example of the car i mentioned

www.autotrader.com/car...2243&Log=0

Car necessities:

4 doors
decent gas mileage
under 10K
Automatic
no wagons (her care not mine)

Other cars I have looked into:

E46
Lexus IS300 (my favorite option)
Nissan Murano
Subaru Impreza 2007
Lexis RX
xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:52 am
Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Mercedes C230

under 10k, I know you said no Japs but a 4 door accord would fit the bill nice. My grandparents have 2 with over 250k on both and they are fucking tanks!!

my wife had a 2007 Fusion which was also a great car. never had a single issue mechanically

Imprezza if its not a wrx/sti will suck balls

I know nothing of Mercedes, so im not much help there

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:35 pm

If you don't want a blandmobile, the E46 and IS300 are nice... though maybe I just have a thing for straight sixes (yes, I do).

The Impreza will indeed suck many balls, as will changing the spark plugs and possibly head gaskets on it. Avoid.

The Murano is a FWD transverse Japanese car with a 3.5L DOHC V6. I have never worked on one, but I can't imagine it's better than the current Infiniti. Avoid.

The RX is probably fine, but is a blandmobile. I know nothing about working on them but again it's a transverse V6.

Austin brings up a good point; the Fusion is a surprisingly good car! I prefer it to the Accord for driving purposes, but can't speak for longevity. Of course I agree that the Accord is indestructible, but is a blandmobile.

The E46 is nicer than the IS300 in my opinion. But you could say you have a "2JZ no shit" with the Lexus. You could find a good example of either one for under $10k with a little sleuthing and some patience. However, they are both getting old/cheap enough now that there is a high percentage of crap examples for sale.

I also know not much about the C230. Is that the supercharged 4 cylinder one? If so, that doesn't sound like fun to fix either.

Okay, end of biased opinions. Hope that helped (it probably didn't).
xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Just get her an e34 with ice cold ac and call it a day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:22 pm

xAZxE30x wrote:
Just get her an e34 with ice cold ac and call it a day

My dad took the good e34 lol.

And yes the opinions help a lot and bring to light a few things I didnt think about.
The C-class came with the turbo 4 (c230) or the straight six (C240).

With that said I still like the idea of the IS300 but will be looking into the fusion. I found several IS300's under 100K miles for less than 8 grand so we will see.

Apparently another necessity is not having leather seats.
ccc13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Supercharged four and V6, to be pedantic (hey, it makes a difference when you're cramming your hands in there).

By non-leather, do you mean not REAL leather (like, the E46 vinyl is okay?) or that cloth is the requirement? If the requirement is cloth, doesn't that cut out all the Lexuseseses and the BMW? Or did the IS300 come with a cloth option?

Food for thought: the E46 isn't really that bad of a platform to work on, in my opinion. I also have an MR2 turbo, with which I thought, "Hey it's a Toyota; it should be pretty easy." That assumption couldn't have been more wrong. Realizing that the IS300 is a completely different layout and can't POSSIBLY be as bad as that, it could be worse than a BMW due to quirky Japanese things you're not used to. I don't know for sure, so take my info with a grain of salt. All that said, I definitely do like the IS and was considering one as well.
fanboi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 pm

ccc13 wrote:
Supercharged four and V6, to be pedantic (hey, it makes a difference when you're cramming your hands in there).

By non-leather, do you mean not REAL leather (like, the E46 vinyl is okay?) or that cloth is the requirement? If the requirement is cloth, doesn't that cut out all the Lexuseseses and the BMW? Or did the IS300 come with a cloth option?

Food for thought: the E46 isn't really that bad of a platform to work on, in my opinion. I also have an MR2 turbo, with which I thought, "Hey it's a Toyota; it should be pretty easy." That assumption couldn't have been more wrong. Realizing that the IS300 is a completely different layout and can't POSSIBLY be as bad as that, it could be worse than a BMW due to quirky Japanese things you're not used to. I don't know for sure, so take my info with a grain of salt. All that said, I definitely do like the IS and was considering one as well.

It definitely does make a difference. I prefer supercharger to turbo personally.

the is300 had an alcantara style middle part to the seat. Thats really a silly request and im not too worried about it. Tint works too.

I have owned quite a few hondas and been around the block with those...(insert racist slang.)

I have read a lot about the early pre-facelift e46's that have a problem with rear subframes. How accurate is this and what years should I really look into?
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 pm

I know of a low mileage e23 that fits your requirements. Alas, i am getting it though. just thought i would let you know.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:37 am

An E23 fits no ones requirements if they want working HVAC.

I think Andre (Weißer_E28) used to have a C230. I, personally would kinda stick to what you know and get some sort of BMW. Despite how much they suck compared to E28s, E34s are pretty good cars. The air conditioner in my black/black touring can actually get too cold. Plus its a 5-series which just screams "I worked harder than you and am more successful" to those wimpy F30 owners with their two fewer cylinders or four in some cases.

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 pm

wkohler wrote:
An E23 fits no ones requirements if they want working HVAC.

It does if its free....

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Other Models
Page 1 of 1