AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Wed June 20, 2018, 5:40 pm
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29


AZBMW Forums › General Forums › New Members › Coming soon to a desert near you!
Coming soon to a desert near you!
A place for our new members to introduce themselves
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  New Members

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
love2travel168
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: Aug 02, 2012
Posts: 154

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

Hi Matthew.

Welcome to Arizona, and more specifically Tucson. I also have a love for BMWs and Toyotas. Although I appreciate all cars and don't discriminate. LOL.


1. Looks like you've already found a place. I was in the same position 2 years ago moving for West LA, trying to find a decent location and not feeling like I'm living in a retirement town. In case you're still looking, NW west is pretty nice like Marana and Oro Valley. Both are pretty close to the 10. Another nice area is Catalina Foothills. Depending what area of CF you're in you're pretty central to all of Tucson. Only drag is it'll take you a while to get to the 10. Anywhere between 20-40 minutes w/o traffic. For me it was between Oro Valley and CF. Unfortunately both have a lot of OLDER people. CF a little less so.

2. In general they suck big balls. Full of pot holes and at time miles of rough uneven surface on top of pot holes. Some roads are very smooth, but there aren't many of them. Coming from LA with one of the worst roads in the nation, I can say Tucson is about the same, and some roads are worse then LA roads. Generally the roads in Tucson City limit sucks, and the roads under Pima county are better. But Pima county area of Tucson has plenty of bad roads too.

3. Other then months of extreme heat, the weather is not bad. Haven't gotten use to the heat still but overall better then I expected. For the most part you can keep the coupe on the road year round. Although on days during the summer where we have monsoons and flash flood, I wouldn't drive the coupe. I'd take one of your trucks. The monsoon/flash floods are no joke. At times roads have been shut down taking people hours to get home.

4. Coming from Hawaii you'll love the cost of living. Having experienced how expensive Hawaii can be a few times, and living in West LA for over a decade, Tucson is a relief to the pocket. Property is cheaper, gas is cheaper, personal income tax is cheaper, etc. Enjoy getting to save some money or have extra money for toys. LOL

Hope to see you around town and maybe at a local meet.

_________________
2014 F22 N20
2013 E92 S65
1994 FZJ80 1FZ-FE

2011 E88 N55 Retired
2010 E92 S65 Retired
2007 GSJ15W 1GR-FE Retired
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:53 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

love2travel168 wrote:
Hi Matthew.

Welcome to Arizona, and more specifically Tucson. I also have a love for BMWs and Toyotas. Although I appreciate all cars and don't discriminate. LOL.


1. Looks like you've already found a place. I was in the same position 2 years ago moving for West LA, trying to find a decent location and not feeling like I'm living in a retirement town. In case you're still looking, NW west is pretty nice like Marana and Oro Valley. Both are pretty close to the 10. Another nice area is Catalina Foothills. Depending what area of CF you're in you're pretty central to all of Tucson. Only drag is it'll take you a while to get to the 10. Anywhere between 20-40 minutes w/o traffic. For me it was between Oro Valley and CF. Unfortunately both have a lot of OLDER people. CF a little less so.

2. In general they suck big balls. Full of pot holes and at time miles of rough uneven surface on top of pot holes. Some roads are very smooth, but there aren't many of them. Coming from LA with one of the worst roads in the nation, I can say Tucson is about the same, and some roads are worse then LA roads. Generally the roads in Tucson City limit sucks, and the roads under Pima county are better. But Pima county area of Tucson has plenty of bad roads too.

3. Other then months of extreme heat, the weather is not bad. Haven't gotten use to the heat still but overall better then I expected. For the most part you can keep the coupe on the road year round. Although on days during the summer where we have monsoons and flash flood, I wouldn't drive the coupe. I'd take one of your trucks. The monsoon/flash floods are no joke. At times roads have been shut down taking people hours to get home.

4. Coming from Hawaii you'll love the cost of living. Having experienced how expensive Hawaii can be a few times, and living in West LA for over a decade, Tucson is a relief to the pocket. Property is cheaper, gas is cheaper, personal income tax is cheaper, etc. Enjoy getting to save some money or have extra money for toys. LOL

Hope to see you around town and maybe at a local meet.


1. I'm still looking for the right place, it's hard to house hunt from 2000 miles away. We had a place in mind, but it got sold. We will start doing the "serious" looking about 2 weeks before we fly out there. The Air Force gives us 8 days to look and we can stay in a hotel on the USAF's dime for up to 60 days so we can close. I have a lot of demands, so that cuts into the available homes. The 2 biggest are the workshop with room for a lift and enough space to stretch without hitting my neighbor in the face. I'm hoping to keep the price under $100,000 because this isn't going to be a permanent home, just until I have to move again.

2. I have never seen roads as bad as Hawaii. A dirt road would be an improvement over most of these. The State of Hawaii has a program where they will repair your car if there is damage due to a pothole. As long as you have a police report, photos of the pothole, photos of the damage and a quote for repairs.

3. Heat doesn't bother me that much. I just spent a year in the Middle East where summers were 130+ and still over 100 at night. I have AC, so I should be fine, unless it goes out.

4. My wallet will be happy.

Once I get there I'll be needing 2 additional vehicles...
1. Beast for work/hauling (FZJ80, F250, Diesel...) Around $8k-ish
2. Daily, so I don't rack up miles on the Coupe (43,400 right now)
-Older 5 Speed BMW (prefer e30) Around $3k-ish
If anyone has any insider info on an e30 that may be available soon...
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 am
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

I just ordered my custom Hawaii plates, I'm going to ride around in Arizona with "MOR-PWR" on my Coupe for as long as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:53 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

Only 9 days away from getting out of here. Any good E30s for sale in Tucson? I saw the red one, if it's still available I'm going to look at it. Not a fan of the slammed one though, not my style. Any other good prospects?
Back to top
View user's profile
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

Offline Offline
Joined: Mar 26, 2011
Posts: 2088
Location: Mesa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

i would check with any one of the many Chris'. They are always buying and selling cars. and you will probably get a nice one.

_________________
there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
Back to top
View user's profile
rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

Offline Offline
Joined: Mar 10, 2011
Posts: 476

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:17 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

My buddy has an alpine white/tan e30 1991 318is completely stock (unmolested) with around (120K). He is thinking about putting for sale. With tons of service recently done. I can ask if he is going to for sure sell it. I can give you his contact info if he does, or if your interested.
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:18 am
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

I am definitely interested, this is going to be my DD and the coupe will be the weekend car. Eventually I'll get a pick up or SUV for working and hauling. My wife used to like our old e30, and she would prefer white over the black one we had. As long as it's not extremely expensive.
Back to top
View user's profile
MattE21
Hard Parker

Offline Offline
Joined: Apr 10, 2005
Posts: 2365
Location: Mesa
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:09 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

PM S52Limo (Christian) he has a few E30's you might want to look at.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
wannabM
Member
Member

Offline Offline
Joined: Nov 29, 2012
Posts: 242

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:06 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

I have an 87 325e 5spd coupe im thinking about putting on craigslist. Just got it to pass emissions. Its my current dd and needs no major work done. Just common things like bushings and such.. $1600 .. if your interested.. but i am in phx

_________________
...it can take the abuse...
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:22 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

I'm not opposed to driving to Phoenix, I have an F250 that can easily haul it back to Tucson. I just don't currently have anywhere to park it. I put an offer in on a house yesterday so hopefully I can get things moving and be moved in by the end of September. If it's still available then, I'll definitely be interested.

(EDIT) I remembered that I can park it on base at the auto hobby shop for $1 per day. If you have pictures I may be able to swing by this week and check it out.
Back to top
View user's profile
wannabM
Member
Member

Offline Offline
Joined: Nov 29, 2012
Posts: 242

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

sometrumpetguy wrote:
I'm not opposed to driving to Phoenix, I have an F250 that can easily haul it back to Tucson. I just don't currently have anywhere to park it. I put an offer in on a house yesterday so hopefully I can get things moving and be moved in by the end of September. If it's still available then, I'll definitely be interested.

(EDIT) I remembered that I can park it on base at the auto hobby shop for $1 per day. If you have pictures I may be able to swing by this week and check it out.

Pm sent.

_________________
...it can take the abuse...
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:11 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

So, I thought I was the only one in Tucson with the E36/8. But I ran into a guy at C&C who had heard of 2 more. A yellow one and a blue one. Then I talked to a guy who works in the building next to mine who told me about another... in the parking lot around the corner from where I work. I haven't talked to the guy who owns it yet but it's good to not be completely alone.

I picked up the Coupe from San Diego. The wife and I flew out and drove back, first long road trip. There was only one real issue. Twice, it maxed out at 45 MPH... the engine just wouldn't respond. It happened after stopping for gas and then hitting the highway. I stopped, shut off the car and the started it up again with no issues and it hit 80 with no issues. Any ideas?

We should be able to move into our house this week and I'll be able to do some work then.
Back to top
View user's profile
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

Offline Offline
Joined: Mar 26, 2011
Posts: 2088
Location: Mesa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:28 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

sometrumpetguy wrote:
I picked up the Coupe from San Diego. The wife and I flew out and drove back, first long road trip. There was only one real issue. Twice, it maxed out at 45 MPH... the engine just wouldn't respond. It happened after stopping for gas and then hitting the highway. I stopped, shut off the car and the started it up again with no issues and it hit 80 with no issues. Any ideas?.

Your turbo encabulator has resistance going to the flywheel injector and caused it to overheat the exhaust fluid reservoir. that'll be $98.

_________________
there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:49 pm
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

Quote::
Your turbo encabulator has resistance going to the flywheel injector and caused it to overheat the exhaust fluid reservoir. that'll be $98.

That's what I was thinking, price seems a little steep though. I only have 100 Qatari Riyal and a Canadian 5.
Back to top
View user's profile
sometrumpetguy
Newbie
Newbie

Offline Offline
Joined: May 02, 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:22 am
Post subject: Re: Coming soon to a desert near you!

So, I bought another one... car #6... I got the Morea Green E36 328IC. It definitely needs work... but once I'm done it will need even more! It's going to be sitting until I get back from Texas next week. It needs a Camshaft Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, Wheels, Tires, Drivers seat, all new suspension and a motor for the top... and probably a lot of other stuff that I'll discover along the way. It's going to be the wife's car so I have to make sure it's safe. Will post pics/updates eventually.
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  New Members
Page 3 of 3
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


This Theme Ported By: WebSiteGuru Designs. Original Author: Lorkan Themes