AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Sat May 26, 2018, 12:54 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › ///M Cars › Transmission/Drivetrain question
Transmission/Drivetrain question
Motorsports Division
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  ///M Cars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACK-FIN

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 pm
Post subject: Transmission/Drivetrain question

Before I get started on the topic - I have made a parts/mods list and am close to ordering parts. Parts alone will cost over $20K without touching the engine - this car is going to be quite sick in my opinion. When I do a build thread should I wait till it's complete or just add to it as work stages complete.

My question is this - after the initial work is complete I'll be making plans to upp the RWHP. I haven't, yet, decided on how much power I want but that is kind of irelevant at this point. I'm considering switching to an automatic transmission with a manual shift only valave bodu, etc. while adding paddle shifters and tranny brake si I can launch it properly at the strip. I don't plan on a lot of 1/4 mile runs because this is much more of a road course car. Anyway, how much HP can an unmodified tranny handle usually? Any how much HP should a stock diff handle? Since this car is going to see little track time and will live mainly on public streets I have to make decisions that will keep this project very streetable. So I need fedback like is the BMW tranny my best bet or should I look at alternatives that can be made to fit? Who, if anyone, in PHX would be best to contact about helping me wit this? I know there's a whole laundry list that needs to be addressed before this is done and before I get power brought up to, say, 600RWHP. I'm not trying to build the fastest or most powerful thing on the street - I just want to surpass my old RX-7 in every way possible. What are your thoughts? Oh, and, how safe is it to roll or pull wheel wells with 18 year old paint? I'm definitely going to need a lot of rubber and would rather not use riveted on fender flares - Or should I conjsider finding a good metal man to cut the wheel wells and weld in flares? I'd rather not paint this car since the paint is so nice esprcially considering it's age.

Your thoughts.....

e46tuner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:12 am
Post subject: Re: Transmission/Drivetrain question

What kind of car and engine are you going to use?

ACK-FIN

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:32 pm

it's a 95 M3, stock modded engine. The first round of changes is going to cost $20k on parts alone. And out of that the only motor/drivetrain change is complete exhaust. In the end I;ll, most likely, settle for whatever HP I can get using the existing supercharger. That may be around 450 considering it's intended use.

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:32 am

$20k for 450hp?!! You do know youre not supposed to drink the bong water right?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
ACK-FIN

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:30 am

Dude, none of that 20k is going into the drivetrain except for full exhaust, complete cooling system including oil cooler, tranny coler, and diff cooler. If you want the whole shopping list let me know. After I upgrade nearly everything there is to upgrade is when I'll decide on my HP wants/needs. I'm not looking to turn this thing into a 1/4 mi.-only monster. Everything I'm doing is meant to preserve a pristine car, lower maintenance costs, and make drive as good as it possibly can while maintaining it's manners on the street. Believe it or not, it doesn't take too many parts to add up to $20k when you're buying the best made or the best you can find. Example: $800 front and $800 cack for new OEM leather for the seats, plus installation So, thank you very much for showing us your level of maturity - again. haha. Here's the bottom line; I'm getting an insurance settlement that's well into 6 digits and I want to turn an amazing car into a dream car. Why not? There are worse things to spend money on.

ti_kid
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:08 am

i want to know specs on this sc if you plan on making 450wheel with it... and if youre willing to share said bong water so i can think of a way to come up with 20k to spend on an e36.
tttoon
Yuro

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 am

I think a manual ZF will be more than enough. You won't need a transmission or diff cooler, so I'd spend my money elsewhere. Getting the best of everything and bolting it on will not necessarily result in a fantastic car, especially from the perspective of maintenance (motorsport suspension = frequent and costly rebuilds).

Why not just buy a Porsche? They have teams and teams of engineers working on how to make great cars, I hear.

Oh and for a paddle shift gearbox, I think you'll spend loads of money just to get that homo shit working, and it wont be nice to use. The big effort in those things is not the hardware but the software.

"It looks like an M5, but is actually a '99 323i"
xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:27 pm

You won't need a diff cooler or trans cooler. Especially with little track time. Even with a track weekend every week in summer you wouldn't need those
The stock trans will hold up just fine. Save your pennies and just buy a rebuilt or low mileage one.

And why would you pay installation on seats? There are a whopping total of 8 bolts in the front and a few more in the back. Takes 20minutes tops

Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:30 pm

And if you want paddle shifters, sell it and buy a BMW that has them factory. You'll spend most your $20,000 on that alone as I don't think many have done that. If you have to ask what trans will work then most likely you are in over your head on the paddle shifta-fuh-raze setup

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Understood. The paddle shifter idea was just a fleeting thought and I was looking for peoples opinion. The cost isn't much of a concern. The tranny and diff coolers might be overkill but it's so damned hot here in the Phoenix area that any and every possible cooling can't hurt. This car is already fantastic, I just can't help myself in that I modify everything - I build my own computers, modify all firearms, and cars/trucks. It must be in my DNA. The mods to this car will be well thought out and planned and won't be done until I'm satisfied that every part compliments all olther parts. I researched my RX-7 for a solid year before spending any money. This car won't be much different. I'll come up with several bad ideas along the way and will settle down and make good choices. In the end I will have turned a great car into an even better o ne that is unique to me while showing respect to the original engineering. The expense is of little concern because I recently had an amazing windfall and can afford to do what ever I want without putting a huge den t in it. I love this car and want it to be everything it can be as it might be the last one I do. I know it sounds insane but I could possibly spend 50k on a car I paid 15K for but if it's done right and makes me happy, why not? To balance out the selfish expense I'll be helping 2 different families improve their living situation. Money is a tool to be used and not horded or worshipped.

laplana325i

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:40 pm

ACK-FIN wrote:
Understood. The paddle shifter idea was just a fleeting thought and I was looking for peoples opinion. .

Anybody who drove the E90 with 6 speed automatic transmission with paddle shifter steering wheel option would tell you it is not something you want to be doing during drag racing. There is a delay when you upshift with a paddle switch, it takes time for hydraulics to shift to another gear, this is about 0.4 of a second delay, that is slow and you will have to know how to time it and press the pedal slightly before where you want it to shift. And anybody who drag races his E90 will tell you the best time you get is when you put it in "DS" and just floor the accelerator, let the transmission computer shift for best performance.

Quote::
Parts alone will cost over $20K without touching the engine - this car is going to be quite sick in my opinion. When I do a build thread should I wait till it's complete or just add to it as work stages complete.

We all know how these projects end up, you spend the money, you dig into it, you hit a snag, and we see for sale thread about it.
xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:05 pm

Eh I'm not gonna bash him, more power to the guy. Just lots of work involved and money unless you have all the fab skills

If it were me I would send it out to vac with a $10,000 bill and then spend the rest on suspension and brakes and then interior

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:49 pm

the paddle idea was just an udea and I got my answer. skip it and do everything else I have planned

xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:56 pm

With that budget why not s54 it and call it a day? Or LSx swap it!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Those are possibilities. So far the money I've mentioned isn't going into drivetrain with the exception of complete exhaust. After I've done everything else I'll start making real decisions about what I really want for HP and how to best achieve that. You see, I'm doing things like restoring the interior to factory new, upgrading suspension, installing a completely new cooling system, new wheels & ntires, it's time for new rotors and brake pads, etc. There's no point in increasing HP until the rest of the car is ready to accept higher performance. When one is trying to buy only the best components money doesn't go very far. It seems that so many parts costs are in increments of 1k each. And it's possible that once everything is done I may settle down and just drive it as-is with ~350 RWHP and be happy with it. In the mean time I'm going to research as many possibilities as possible no matter how extreme they may be. In the end, the decisions will be sound - I won't start on the engine before being absolutely certain what I really want and not before I know more HP won't break things. There is a limit to what I'll spend, I just don't know what that is yet. Thanks for the ideas.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  ///M Cars
Page 1 of 1