AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Fri June 22, 2018, 9:17 pm
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 1-4 Series › E30 M20 Pro-am and XDC Drift Car
E30 M20 Pro-am and XDC Drift Car
All things 1, 2, 3 and 4 series
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  1-4 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm
Post subject: E30 M20 Pro-am and XDC Drift Car

I’ve had my current car for about 4 years now. A good friend got me in to drifting back when I was in high school. I had a couple 240’s and other common drift cars. But when I decided to take drifting seriously I wanted something different. I always loved Datsun 510’s but after looking at prices of them and the amount of work to bring them up to date, I saw it really wasn’t an option to me. Someone suggested looking in to mid-80’s BMW’s. I fell in love. It was a 510 looking coupe with more modern technology. I bought the car back in Washington as a bone stock 1986 325es. I did mild modifications over a year or so. Which made me fall in love with it and BMW’s. Making the move to Arizona to pursue drifting on a more serious level. Running a few local drift events really showed me</SPAN> that my driving was at a higher level then the car was at. So this last winter (and in to the spring) I tore the car apart to the bare shell. Here it is all done.

[img]http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?[/img]

[img]http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=428014&d=1357145499[/img]
[img]http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=428015&d=1357145499[/img]
[img]http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=428019&d=1357147792[/img]
[img]http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=428020&d=1357147792[/img]

Current Sponsors:
Ace Up Motorsports Vemma Extreme FIGJAM Fabrication Eta MotorWerks Condor Speed Shop Motorsport Hardware Delta V Vinyl Shop

I was more focused on my driving and prepping the car more then media this year. I plan on collecting a lot more media this year and also traveling out of state for events.

This year the car has gotten a progressive nitrous kit and will soon get e46 arms or possibly SLR angle kit.
Locally we have Import Face-off Jan 27th and XDC PHX Feb. 9-10th Comps coming up. As well as Vegas Pro-am schedule. I will try an update this as much as I can.
Also I am at work right now and will upload more photos when I get home

Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm
Post subject: Re: E30 M20 Pro-am and XDC Drift Car

youtu.be/ZDdoHgzrXQo"]http://youtu.be/ZDdoHgzrXQo

killerkiko
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

cool, who did the nitrous tuning? Are you retarding ignition timing when you arm the system or when it is activated?

Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 pm

I am. The nitrous is controled by a progressive controller. It uses tps, rpm and afr from the wideband to ramp in the shot. I dont currently have a msd box on it. But it is wired for one and will be running one in the future. I have timing retarded in the DME when the nitrous is set to come on.

giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm

I need to come out and see you drive some time!

AZautoXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 am

That is very cool! Good on ya for not being yet another 240SX driver. And yes, need to come out and see this some time, and support "our man"!!! Very Happy
Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:33 pm

www.azbmw.org/index.ph...948#157948

I underline the date will be attending for sure.

like I said in that post, there is a car show at xdc it would be nice to see some more bmws there this year!

Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Well this weekend was Import Face-Off at Firebird Raceway. Amazingly it rained almost all weekend. Was Scheduled to run test and tune friday night on the new nitrous set up, but with rain the drag and drift session was cancelled. So Saturday I loaded a race tune on to the car and hoped for the better weather Sunday. Woke up Sunday morning to pretty dry weather. As soon as I started to load things up it started to sprinkle, I knew what the day was going to be like…
Loaded up and got to the event, past tech. Practice started after a pretty failed attempt to jet dry the track. Went out first run pretty much autox the course to see how slick it was and it was like ice. Dropped the tire pressure and softened the back end trying to dial-in more grip. Wasn’t feeling 100% after practice, had the line down but wasn’t feeling consistent. Had drivers meeting on comp. sun was coming out by then. Told us that they were looking for aggression and speed, also we would get 2 back to back runs. Went out to qualify, track was pretty dry by then but had a puddle streaming across the track just after the second clipping point which is where you needed to bleed speed and tighten up. First couple cars went and got right back in to line? I was thinking awesome they are giving us one practice run on the dry track before. So I made my first run really slow and safe up hit some water on the last outer clip and spun just before the finish. Feeling good I lined back up and asked that was a practice right? Nope that was number one. Shit now I go or no go. My plan going in was just don’t spin get through the course and run too really push it. Well now I had to make a non spin run or I knew id be going home. My girlfriend came over and was freaked out worried and said you looked really slow and shallow angle. Surprisingly I was really calm all weekend. Got lined up for my second run and started off, grabed second gear hard and had this feeling like I had a ton of speed and grip. So I continued in to third hard ran it right in to the torque band headed straight for the first outer clip and smacked it hard. Car snapped sideways right infront of the clip, and set right in just off lock, I kept my foot in it to the last second, then off and tap the front brakes to pull in to the second inner clip just missing hitting it. Now this was right where the water was, but my speed carried me past it with out having to get hard back on the throttle knowing I was out off that part and ran the last part through making sure to not spin. Feeling like the run got me just in 16 I was getting ok. Qualifying meeting started and the first thing they asked was who was the guy with the loud black e30. Me. Ok we that thing is awesome and was charging! Haha thanks. So they started reading off names, they got to 12th and I started to get worried. Then pro-am veterans and pro-am drivers names started to get called, going into top 10-8. I was about to walk back to the trailer. When number six Loud E30 was called, I also fell and my girlfriend started crying. I couldn’t believe it, first serious comp and I placed 6th. 6th out of 20 drivers, going up against v8 cars with my m20. I was stoked up I wasn’t celebrating or really thinking about it, just round 1. Track was still dry going in to top 16 practice. Got paired with a good veteran driver that had thrown a single cam 240 together to run. I was feeling really great. Following I ran right up on his door and stuck my nose in every turn. Leading I put 2-3 lengths on him and kept 1-2. More angle and initiated sooner. Got lined up for round one and the rain just dumped… he lead first run, gave him a car or two thinking I don’t want to slam in to him knowing he is lower. He was super shallow and slow to transition, I ended up off him a car the whole way. Knowing I had to put more cars on him leading and hope he spin. Came in hard felt like I had grip, transitioned and got back on the gas but didn’t have traction to move the car just gave more angle so I tried to get it back on line and lost it. Spectators said he spun before I did, but either way I lost. Really shitty timing but the 6th place spot in the dry proved the whole weekend for me. Really would have liked to go rounds but I was just not set up for the rain and been out of driving it too long. Think a big factor to the street cars that make it in top 16 was that they were able to go out on the streets and practice in the rain the days prior. O well cant wait for XDC and just hope its dry Sorry for the long post. Will have photos up soon.

Tchao
Hard Parker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Drift30 wrote:
I am. The nitrous is controled by a progressive controller. It uses tps, rpm and afr from the wideband to ramp in the shot. I dont currently have a msd box on it. But it is wired for one and will be running one in the future. I have timing retarded in the DME when the nitrous is set to come on.

How did you do that?

And how does the progressive box work with the TPS,RPM, and AFR?

Curious...

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Moates ostrch 2.0. I cant get it to save a tune on it. So I ordered in a Burner. Only made one pull so far, 2 steps colder plug, 35hp jets, 3 degress out and on a roll with a soft ramp blew the tires off so I let off. Started raining so I had to pull it in. Will be working more on it soon.

Tchao
Hard Parker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm

So its always running on nitrous conditions weather or not nitrous is present.
That makes much more sense.

You may or may not know this, but unless you installed a secondary TPS. The OEM E30 one is just a WOT switch, there is no Pot Meter. Unsure if your controller is set accordingly.

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Yes.

I do and have set up accordingly.

nitrous only runs if rpm in within 2500-6k
TPS is at wide open and AFM is reading 60% or more air flow read in Volts(father tunning needs to be done to see what voltage reading are read through out a run.)
AFR is a safe gaurd for loss in fuel pressure or other failure. The programmer will add or take away fuel or competely shut the system off.

ti_kid
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 am

we may not get along too well but im happy you qualified 6th this weekend, goes to show with some hard work and dedication you can go where you want. the weather did make it hard on everyone who participated. hopefully we have more competition style events like this past one, Friday's rain did ruin wet course practice for everyone and you are right it is much harder in an unregistered can that you cant even get a feel of on the street. good luck with xdc ill be out there spectating, one of my buddies might be doing xdc too so it should be fun the rain ruined it for him and he placed 18th in qualifying this weekend.
Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 am

Thank you. We don't get along? Don't remember having any problems?

xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:13 pm

He fucking hates your guts for all the shit talking you did last year

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  1-4 Series
Page 1 of 4