AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Fri June 22, 2018, 9:17 pm
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 1-4 Series › Any BMW gurus know the answer to my questions?
Any BMW gurus know the answer to my questions?
All things 1, 2, 3 and 4 series
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  1-4 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beethovenaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:04 pm
Post subject: Any BMW gurus know the answer to my questions?

Hi,
I recently did a cooling system and engine replacement on my E30 1992 BMW 318i Convertible (which is the same as a 1991 - last year of body style). It has an M42 engine. The head gasket was blown. The new engine is great! No issues with it. While replacing it I also replaced the motor and tranny mounts. Before the replacement every now and then the tranny would pop out of gear when down shifting into 4th. Also if I remember correctly it would grind going to 1st unless I put it into 2nd first. Now the issue is exasperated. It violently throws it out of 1st and also throws it out of 4th. If I hold tight it will make a metallic popping sound, the car shudders and it goes into those two gears. 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and reverse are fine. While driving if I let off the gas and coast with it in any gear there is a slight vibration and light noise. After any lengthy drive there is a strong odor of burnt clutch (most likely from riding it in 2nd and 5th). I think it is a Getrag 240 based on the pictures I see and what I remember of it. I was told it is the synchros. Is this tranny toast? Is it rebuild-able and if so where do I get the parts? If it is best to replace it do I have to use the G240 or are there others to choose from that directly bolt in?
giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:14 pm
Post subject: Re: Any BMW gurus know the answer to my questions?

It would be relatively inexpensive to replace it with a known working unit. Did you bleed the clutch when you did all the other work?

Dizman
Googler Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:45 pm

What no "please make an intro thread" or "Google it"?

You're slipping Chris! Wink

Previous - 2008 E92 M3 (SOLD! Bought a house)
Current - 1999 E36 M3 Vert (FAIL! Autotragic)
beethovenaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 pm

No we did not bleed the system. The slave cylinder was slightly worn but we didn’t replace it nor open the system. We pulled the engine and trans together and separated them. We degreased the trans and then installed the flywheel and clutch and then mated the new engine and trans together and reinstalled as a unit.
beethovenaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm

I don’t know what you mean by "please make an intro thread" means as I am new to this forum. I did Google it but there is a lot of nonsense garbage out there. I came here because I thought there would be more condensed knowledge.
I just want to know what my trans issue is and the best way to resolve it. Do I just need to replace the tranny or can I rebuild it? If so where would I get a rebuild kit or parts? If I replace it can I use a different model trans. I was told the trans from a 325 will bolt right in and is better. If so, do I need a different clutch/flywheel setup?
giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Dizman wrote:

You're slipping Chris! Wink

I would like to think that we wouldn't chase away every new member of this site. Maybe I'm just getting old?

beethovenaz wrote:
I don’t know what you mean by "please make an intro thread" means as I am new to this forum. I did Google it but there is a lot of nonsense garbage out there. I came here because I thought there would be more condensed knowledge.
I just want to know what my trans issue is and the best way to resolve it. Do I just need to replace the tranny or can I rebuild it? If so where would I get a rebuild kit or parts? If I replace it can I use a different model trans. I was told the trans from a 325 will bolt right in and is better. If so, do I need a different clutch/flywheel setup?

Go here, but I do warn you. Use the search function before you ask.........

You have several options, but I think rebuilding wont be one of them.

beethovenaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 pm

giantkeeper wrote:
Dizman wrote:

You're slipping Chris! wink

I would like to think that we wouldn't chase away every new member of this site. Maybe I'm just getting old?

beethovenaz wrote:

Go here, but I do warn you. Use the search function before you ask.........

You have several options, but I think rebuilding wont be one of them.
Thank you Giantkeeper.

I'm checking it out now. Huge site with lots of info. Trying to refine my search queries... If anyone has any added info or suggestions it is all welcomed. I'm trying to educate myself before undertaking this project.

Plus, if anyone has a G240 for sale at a reasonable price I'm interested. Or anything that will directly fit an M42... (I guess i should post this in classifieds also)
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Welcome FNG!

If you decide you can and want to rebuild it, Transtar has rebuild kits for every transmission you can think of, and theyre local.

Phoenix, Arizona
4530 North 43rd Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85031

Phone: 623-848-8459
Fax: 623-848-3164
Toll Free: 800-275-9709

E-Mail: info @ transtar1.com

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
beethovenaz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 pm

bastarde38 wrote:
Welcome FNG!

If you decide you can and want to rebuild it, Transtar has rebuild kits for every transmission you can think of, and theyre local.

Phoenix, Arizona
4530 North 43rd Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85031

Phone 623-848-8459
Fax 623-848-3164
Toll Free 800-275-9709

E-Mail info @ transtar1.com

Contact Tony Lewis
Ill give them a call tomorrow and see what they offer. Thanks for the info.
Musick_X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:21 am

My first thought is bad Transmission.

You'll probably find that a tranny swap is cheaper than a rebuild. Do you know what exact tranny you have? If you have a straight 6 engine, see if you can find a used Getrag 260 5-speed for cheap.

Also, did you change out your flywheel and throwout bearing? The bearing only costs $40. it's good to change it out while you're down there if you do the swap.

Musick_X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:24 am

Also, if you have a 4cyl engine you will probably want to look for a Getrag 240 or a ZF S5-16 tranny. I'm not really sure if the 260 will bolt up.

e30325ic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:55 am

Replace with a known good transmission

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 am

e30world shows that you should have a g260, same as other models, though the gear ratios are slightly different in 1st and 3rd. RealOEM shows a g240 which aligns with your initial thoughts which also has slightly different ratios than a standard g260. You can purchase the syncros separately (part 2) for 76$ Shocked from pelican

but as others have said, in the interest of budget, a whole new (used) transmission will be more economical.
Check out r3v for parts. Or try your luck at a pick n pull. Quite a few of the stuff on r3v is pulled from user cars though, so they should be able to tell you if it whined, shifted, etc before being janked out.

Last comment, make sure you have the right lube in your transmission. IIRC you should be running plain old ATF (that's right automatic transmission fluid).
Running 75-90W GL5 (a normal manual transmission fluid) would not work. It would not allow the syncros to bite enough resulting in the selector lever feeling like it won't go into gear, and forcing it may result in grinding. ATF should be red color, so if you're not sure...

tttoon
Yuro

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 am

m42 = g240 trans. Just get another. I can't imagine you can get one rebuilt for the price of a new one. These pop up from time to time from people doing swaps.

Any other trans (g260)will require a different driveshaft.

"It looks like an M5, but is actually a '99 323i"
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  1-4 Series
Page 1 of 1