AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Thu May 24, 2018, 9:49 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › Other BMW Models › Screwed From The Beginning (Euro e24 FI Build!)
Screwed From The Beginning (Euro e24 FI Build!)
Everything manufactured by BMW, branded or not
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:15 pm
Post subject: Screwed From The Beginning (Euro e24 FI Build!)

I have had my e24 for about 5 months and felt that it was time that i finally write a build thread for this POS. Prior to this car I owned a 1991 e30 318is and loved it very much. Here is a picture:

Though, after seeing an add on craigslist with a Euro e24 for sale I just had to buy it...well I actually just traded cars. Why? Because I really love the look of the e24's and the power of a dirty m30. I also wanted something a little bit more unique then an e30. My e30 was no where near perfect and I took some parts offs to make the trade fair.
QUICK INFO:
The car is a 1983 euro e24 635csi with 204,xxx miles.
It's a 5-speed with a m30b34 high compression engine.
It has euro lights and wipers system.
It also had no sunroof.
It came with style 5's with bavauto lowering springs.
FIRST DAY HOME:
She was a little dirty and need some maintenance but nothing major.

After drying the car I couldn't stand to see through the matching tint! So I decide to grab some razor blades and the heat gun. I spend an hour or two pulling the tint off and it was well worth it.
BEFORE & AFTER

With just a little bit of cleaning up the car had already started to look a lot better then how I got it. The two finally meet! Right one is my dad euro e24 with now 400,000 miles.

Two days later me being a clean freak I am and love to detail cars, I decided to give the car a detail. Though I am no professional detailer, I felt I was able to get out most of the scratches and dull areas. The detail really made the color "pop" and show it true beauty.

After two weeks of ownership of the car I f***ing rear ended someone. Long story short, it was a 4 car accident each car except the first rear ended the other. I didn't cause the accident but got f***ed with a ticket that read "failure to avoid an accident". Though, it wasn't the ticket that pissed me off but fact that I crashed my car. Here are some pictures of the damage:

To be continued: later tonight after work! Enjoy

Last edited by rmehrIV on Mon May 12, 2014 3:30 am; edited 17 times in total
giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:17 pm
Post subject: Re: Euro e24 635csi Build: "lots of pics"

Nice Ray, we've been hearing about this....sorta like a chupacabra!

sterling
Is fassssst!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Looks good. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully you can bring her back to life soon!
rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:54 am

sterling wrote:
Looks good. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully you can bring her back to life soon!
I have been meaning to set some time aside so I could organize all the pictures I took of the build, and finally got around to doing it tonight. If you all check tomorrow I will have the rest of the build and pictures up! OOO and don't worry she's back up and running now! Though she is not very pretty...hahaha
rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:21 am

Well I am back, where was I? Ohh Ya, so once the weekend had finally rolled around and baseball tryouts were done. I started to tear here apart and asset the damage. Luckily since I hit a SUV it was only the top of the car that took the damage and nothing happened to the frame! (at least that's the positive way to look at it). More pictures as promised.
More Accidents Damage:

After taking everything apart I made a huge parts list of what needs to be replaced:
Clutch fan, radiator, condensor, A/C fan, left headlight assembly, euro headlights, euro side-marker lights, bumper, kidneys and grills, fender, hood, core support.
After that weekend, the car sat around for about two weeks until some of the parts to have finally been delivered and gathered so that it would be drivable. I realized that the core support had actually been pushed back about an inch making it so a radiator and clutch fan couldn't fit. Not having anytime because of baseball, school, and work I wasn't able to send it to the body shop since i needed something to take me back and fourth. So I borrowed my neighbors winch put it around the tree and cranked it until i had enough room for everything to properly function.
Quick Fix Pics:

Now that's a facelift!!!

Hood clips "Because Wrecked Car!"

When I finally start the car after sitting for two weeks it wouldn't turn over. We then looked around to find out that the crack position sensor was bad so i replaced that. After replacing that it finally turned over, but was idle extremely high. We then checked around some to find out the temperature sensor had gone out. So I replaced that. We then had to adjust the idle control valve until we finally got it running smooth. I also replaced the spark plugs. The next thing was at it idle i saw metal shaving coming the exhaust manifold only to find out that the catalytic converter was destroyed from the car running extremely rich. When the previous owner said he put the CAT in about a year ago!
What is left of the CAT:

After driving around awhile all the shit got blown out, and ran great. Busy throughout the rest of my senior year the car looked like that until I graduated. During that time I was able to get rid out my shitty ass comfort seats and replace them with some shitty ass e24 recaros! I also picked up an early m-tech steering wheel, rear headrests and clam shells, as well as a new parcel shelf.
Seats

Finally when July came around with the help of dad, I was able to collect a core support, fender, and hood being able to send the car body shop. I got the core support replaced, and rear quarter panel fixed.
Body Work:

It was from there on that I realized that I am putting good amount of money into it so I might as well make it and do everything how I want. Here is just the beginning. Well since the whole front end was taken apart I and decided to go to space age have them make me some paint that matched so i could paint the core support.
Dirty Engine Bay:

Sanding and Priming:

Paint:

There is still a lot more about the build I need to post....

Last edited by rmehrIV on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
SpikeX5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:50 pm

it has character

02' e53 BMW X5 3.0i
Sport Package, with 03 model body

Brembo Rotors & EBC Red-stuff Pads. Bilstein Shock & Strut Set - PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE
rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:16 am

After painting the core support I decided to just go ahead and paint the rest of the engine bay since it looked like shit. Since I pretty much had everything else apart I went ahead to finish and refresh the engine bay.
Wet Sanding:

After:

As you can see the paint was very dirty and faded and didn't match the rest of it.

After a few hour of washing, sanding and prepping it was finally time to paint. It is no where near perfect but I very pleased with the results I got, especially looking at the pictures of how terrible it looked before.
Before:[b/]

[b]After:

I also took off all the old tape that wraps the wires and re-wapped all of it. I also did the other side but don't have pictures. I also went through and fixed any ugly spliced wires on the engine and then shrink wrapped them.
Before:

After:

Since I was pretty much cleaning up everything I did the buckets for the headlights and cleaned the chrome trim around them. Finally i was able to do something inside for it was so f***ing hot and humid out all week.

All Finished:

Other Parts Cleaned Up:

I purchased a whole front euro bumper and spoiler. I eventually want to switch the early front spoiler to the one I have with fog light. The only way to get to bolt I needed to take out DOT bar. So I went to Harbor Freight bought a $10 grinder and some cutting wheels and went to work.
Before:

I got it out and was able to remove 10lbs of useless, rusty metal.

After:

Was finally able to put her back together a have her back up and running on the road.

I just ordered some new euro turn signals and should be here in a few day so I can get rid of those hideous elephant ear that are on there. I am also still looking for one more euro low beam so if anyone has one around. I'd be happy to BUY it off you! My dad found a very dull half-assed polished valve cover and thermostat housing. So I took the time to shine it up a LITTLE bit more! I bought some 1500 grit wet sand paper, buffing wheel, polishing compound, and some mother aluminum polish. Here are the results of the valve cover still need to do thermostat housing.
Before:

After:

How It's Going to Look In Engine Bay:
Also cleaned the intake filter casing.
Before

After

Last edited by rmehrIV on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
URspeed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Love those euro bumpers. wish i had a set for mine

rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Fixed, I saw that the picture weren't showing up and I am sorry about that. Yes, the euro bumpers do makes a huge difference in the appearance of the car.
rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:08 am

Well now that the e39 project was finished and now sold it is time to start on the e24 again! It seems like this car needs one of everything but I had to start somewhere. I had left off with the engine bay last summer but never got to painting the cover for the heater blower motor. Let it begin!!!
Before:

Wet Sanded:

After:

While I wait for parts I decided to take apart the interior and remove all the old stereo wiring. The interior wasn't good to begin with but as I started to tearing it apart it seemed to be just a disaster. The wires to the stereo system were a mess and some of the wires just went to nothing. Also, since I no longer had comfort seats I decided to take the wiring harness for that out. Not only were the wires a mess but once I took out the back seat I found this S****Y sound deadening material everywhere. This stuff sucks a fat one and is a pain in the ass to get off. It almost like tar with really thin paper skin over it.
Before:

After:

Before:

This stuffed is a mess and got all over my rear interior and even jammed the two front seat belts. It was so sticky it totally destroyed my rear partial shelf, but good thing I have an extra one!

I read up on a few other forums to seem what would work best, most suggested dry ice which didn't really work to well in my situation since most of the stuff was in tight or incline places. So I had to take a chisel and hammer and spent all day messing with it. Here is the final result: "It isn't perfect but by the end of the day I didn't give a F*** but was satisfied knowing most of it was gone!" I would probably estimate that it was all the crap weighed around 15lbs.

After:

That's all for now...
rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:57 am
Post subject: Re: Euro 635csi (7-5-13)

Now, I wait and wait on parts to slowly come from here the build will be getting serious! Awhile back I had bought an extra parcel shelf and claim shells since the ones I had were total trash! They didn't match interior, still won't even though I getting the seats redone. I also scored a deal on some rare e24 headrests! Since nothing really matched I dyed and spray painted the shelf and shells. I was able to get ahold of a gentleman who had some m-tech cloth which I will be putting fabric inserts into my retro recaro seats and door panels!
Before Pics of Parcel Shelf and Claim Shells:

After Pics of Parcel Shelf and Claim Shells:

Some of the Goodies that Came In:
BBS RK

///M Pedal Covers, QTP 3" Electric Cutout, New AGLA Leather e-brake handle and Shift Boot, Stainless Steel Brakes, Polyurethane Subframe Bushings.

Now I am still waiting on my ground control coilover sleeves and camber plates, spax shocks, meyle front suspension components, schmeidmann front and rear strut brace, ireland engineering stainless steel exhaust, schmeidmann stainless steel clutch line, and m-tech cloth.
devo
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 pm
Post subject: Re: Euro 635csi "Pic Heavy" (7-22)

You had a pretty damn clean E30 you're being modest, but I really like what you're doing with the E24, euro sharks are one of the classiest 70's+80's cars out there for sure. Especially happy to see you fixed it up after the accident quickly.

Good stuff man!

romandia_md

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:37 pm

The car is coming along quite nicely, man! Still a long ways to go but I look forward to seeing the finished product. It'll be a personal Frankenstein BMW after all the mods you've made. Keep it up, man. Best of luck.
jaybee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 am

Looooooooove your car! E24's make me feel funny inside.....

fanboi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:12 am

jaybee wrote:
Looooooooove your car! E24's make me feel funny inside.....

Have you been to the doctor lately?? Shocked

seriously though the amount of work and love going into this is cool to see. Glad you didnt give up on it.
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models
Page 1 of 4