AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Mon December 18, 2017, 3:31 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

wtb: open 3.25, 3.46, 3.73 diff
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:33:57

Looking for an E36 M3 - 5 speed
Last post by ambition in General Discussion on Jul 02, 2017 at 02:50:51

WTB BMW E21 back seat
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Jun 12, 2017 at 19:50:33

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 5-8 Series › SLAUGHTER's 5er 5spd Swap Thread
SLAUGHTER's 5er 5spd Swap Thread
All things 5, 6, 7 and 8 series
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  5-8 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinan_e34
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 am
Post subject: SLAUGHTER's 5er 5spd Swap Thread

Hey Gents!! I’ve started my 5spd Swap on the 5er (E34 525i) and wanted to start a thread that will be updated with all that I’m doing with pictures.

I’m looking at swapping in a ZF310 manual transmission which on the M50 the zf310 was used on the early E34 models and then Getrag on later models. The ZF320 can also be used but I’m sticking with the ZF310 making me have to get a ZF driveshaft and ZF cross member as well. I also need a lower gear differential since my lsd4.10 currently matched to my auto will not work, or it could if the driveshaft flange is changed with a manual. I’m not going to do that since the rev points on the freeway would be way to high (like 5k at 80mph) but the 3.23 was standard on the 525i manuals so either that or I’ve heard the 3.64 is really good…I’ll have to look and wait.

The swap is very simple and has been done before on the bfc E34 forums with great DIYs and requires a little re-wiring for starting the car, cruise control capabilities, reverse lights, deleting the auto trans. program error, and deleting the auto indication of gear on the cluster. Should only take a day or two but hope to install everything after summer but how it’s going and looking so far I might be ready during summer Smile Let’s get started!

So far I have:
ZF310 transmission, 155k miles w/ no issues (check)—($260)
E34 Manual pedals (check)—($50)
ZF driveshaft, in good shape w/ new CSB (being delivered) *
ZF cross member (being delivered) *
E34 shift linkage (being delivered) *
E34 manual shift surround (being delivered) *—(*combined= $300)

Need:
-E34 medium size differential
-Clutch & Flywheel (I’m thinking Sachs clutch kit w/ F1 Racing flywheel)
-Misc Parts (clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, manual housing bolts, new clutch/ cruise control and brake switch, new shift linkage bushings and ball cup)

Total spent so far: $610

Thanks for looking and the responses...I'm a DIY type of guy!

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 am
Post subject: Re: SLAUGHTER's 5er 5spd Swap Thread

Today I tackled cleaning and resealing the ZF310 since it was dirty and clearly leaking from areas. I first started by cleaning it using purple power cleaner, metal brush, tooth brush and metal scrub pad. Here’s the before and after pictures:

Before…

After…

Time to reseal the transmission as the upper shifter shaft seal, rear output shaft seal were clearly leaking and 155k miles on them. I will also replace the input shaft seal as well...so here are the parts needed:

ZF310 Manual Transmission: RealOEM Diagram (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=23_1169&hg=23&fg=15)
Parts #4 (23211224820), #11 (231112247990), #12 (23121282394)
*Also needed is a new shifter foam insert on the shift rod joint. I bought the MTC shift rod joint and took the foam insert from that since individual foam inserts aren’t sold separately.

Removal/ install of shift rod joint, cleaning and foam insert added:
There is a retainer clip w/ a little gap in between securing the shift rod joint, so spin the part w/ the gap so its facing upward.

Take a flat head screw driver and slide in under the retainer to help open it up. Once you have it in and some slack force the retainer forward so then it slips off the shift rod joint.

Now you should see a hole with a pin inside which is securing the shift rod joint to the shifter shaft. Take a screw driver and/ or something thin and hammer it out…and the joint will become free and time to clean and place to the side.

Next we need to replace the upper shifter shaft seal. This seal is tinny, so I used some picking tools I had that are straight, right angled, 45deg angled. I tried to get in past the seal and pull it outward and took some picking and pulling and damaging the silicone seal part but I finally got it out.

Old seal verses new seal.

Put sealant on the outer/ inner portions of the seal and place on shift rod and I drove it in w/ a 16mm long socket.

We can now re-install the shifter rod joint back on and remember to insert the new foam inside before placing on and securing with the pin.

Time to change the rear output shaft seal…this takes some more work since you have a lock nut to take off, have to pull off the flange, take the seal out, put new seal in and install all back together. We’ll start by WD40ing the nut behind and on the rear flange.

I used an electric impact gun w/ 36mm socket to get the nut off. The flange will rotate so to secure it I put a long screw through the flange end hole to the trans. corner pocket in the rear. Only took a few seconds and the nut came off.

Using a harmonic/ steering wheel puller (I rented this from Autozone) place on rear flange, secure it from free spinning which I used my long socket wrench in between the puller tool, and using a socket wrench tighten on (clockwise) and watch the flange come off the trans.

Take old seal out. I used a picking tool and a flat head screw driver to help damage the seal and pull out since it’s not an easy task but takes time.

Old seal verses new seal.

Put sealant on outer/ inner portions of the new seal and hammer in using the 36mm socket.

I cleaned the splines, put some grease on the splines and hammered the flange back into place with the 36mm socket. Once in place put some anti-seize on the nut and using the impact gun screwed the nut back on…and all done!

I didn’t receive my input shaft seal from AZ Autohaus with the rest of my order and is separately shipped so I’ll have to wait until I get that to replace and the trans. will be all cleaned and resealed Smile Time to pack away and clean up…

Other Notes: This took a few hours since cleaning it was so much fun...lol and had to go buy a 36mm socket and rent the tool from Autozone. I also used some help from other trans. reseal DIYs like LouieD from bfc forums (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402541).

AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 am

I love DIY projects! Good work Mike!!

scottinQC
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 am

Do yourself a favor and change the 5th/reverse detent pin bushings and the shift selector bushings now when the trans is out of the car. The ZF transmissions are infamous for having the pins stick in the bore causing hard shifts for one, and no feel between the gates for the others. writeups are all over the net, parts are cheap and readily available. Nearly impossible to do in the car, and pulling a freshly installed tranny to replace them later sucks.....

VANOS: Going Full Retard since 1993...

1998 740iL (SchlactShiff)
Dinan_e34
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks Chris!

Scott- Thanks for the heads up and advice as that is something Ive already looked into. Seems like the only common problems I had seen for the zf310 was bad syncros and the shift detent pin failures (5th gear and reverse) were the common failure/ problem on the zf320s. Heres a great DIY for it: webspace.ringling.edu/..._pins.html

Since this trans. came from a forum member on bfc that said it shifted perfectly and no issues (I asked about bad syncros and shift pins) I wont be doing that DIY since I dont need to and if anything I can pull it back out...but thanks for looking out sir!

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Good to know. I was under the impression that both the 310 and 320 suffered from the detent pin troubles. Should you decide to service them before installation, I do have a full set of all on hand here that I could let you borrow (no need to wait on shipping on your end). I also have a double ended drift for installing the bushings.

Good luck on the swap, I would much rather have the 5 speed than an automatic, seems myself and self shifting gearboxes dont get along too well......

VANOS: Going Full Retard since 1993...

1998 740iL (SchlactShiff)
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 am

Sweet. Nice work so far. I'd highly suggest getting a 3.23. I actually wish I could get a taller ratio. Wink

Mtrace
Lord of the flywheels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 am

I really need to do this to my trans, Its in bad bad shape. Good work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:35 pm

If you really want to make that gear box pretty, go down to SoCal Speed Shop on McDowell and get a rattle can of Argent. It is a silver paint loaded with a lot of metal that will give you a beautiful finish. It is not metal flake, but solid silver. Pricey at $16 a can, last time I bought it, but you won't believe the quality of the finish you will obtain. Prime first.
Dinan_e34
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:17 am

Thanks guys for the comments!

Update: Hey guys just wanted to update since yesterday I got finished resealing the ZF310 as I received my input shaft seal and also the shifter linkage, cross member and driveshaft Smile

Removal/ Install of input shaft seal:
Inside the zf310 you can see the metal cover over the input shaft which we need to take off and is secured by (4) hex screws 5mm.

With the cover off you can see the old seal, so using a screw driver I was able to get it out in a few minutes by pulling and prying.

Old seal verses new seal

Put sealant on inner/ outer portions of new seal and drive into place evenly.

Now clean that cover and surrounding area, then put sealant around the cover surface so when you screw it back in place it’s sealed. I also cleaned and greased up the splines on the input shaft.

Here’s the shift surround.

Here’s the shifter linkage and ZF cross member. I deep cleaned the shifter linkage, cross member and also decided to paint the shifter components black (engine paint).

Finally here’s the ZF driveshaft with a new-ish guibo and CSB.

Other Notes: So while taking the input shaft cover off I noticed one of the screws was stripped so taking this out was a challenge but after an hour I finally got it out. So…now I’m looking to get in an order for shifter components, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, lines and etc. Also looking to find a 3.23 differential to get, clean and re-seal.

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:19 am

Update: So got some packages from AZautohaus with shifter stuff, finalize transmission components, clutch & slave cylinders and the pedals out and about.

Removal/ Install of clutch pivot ball and spring:
Here is the old one that is broken as well as the spring.

Take some pliers, grab on and screw off.

Screw new one in and once you receive some force lightly hammer it in. Then place spring on pivot ball.

Here’s some other finished side things.

I know I have the right part but is there normally a little gap in between the clutch slave cylinder???

Pedals & Clutch master cylinder.

Guibo & Driveshaft.

Other Notes: Everything is going well and need to order the last of misc clutch components, nuts/ screws, grommets, hard fluid pipe, clutch sensor for cruise control and shift boot. Also I had the rubber bushing for the end of the shifter support arm but couldn’t get it into place and damaged it and still couldn’t get it to wedge so I’m going to order the UUC hard poly-ish bushings that slide right in. After that all I need still is the clutch/ flywheel and diff Smile

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm

what shifter are you using?

Originally Posted by giantkeeper
lol Luis - I've specifically requested yours to be pink - so it will match the color of your car!
Dizman
Googler Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Great post man! I look forward to each new update, nicely detailed. Makes me want to put a manual in mine now!

Some day....some day Sad

Previous - 2008 E92 M3 (SOLD! Bought a house)
Current - 1999 E36 M3 Vert (FAIL! Autotragic)
Dinan_e34
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey Menny- Im just using the stock E34 shifter for now.

Update: Hey guys…so I finally got my manual open 3.23 differential ($71) with some new seals for it as well as a new clutch pilot bearing. I test fitted the clutch pilot bearing as you don’t want to have the wrong one when installing the 5spd and my plan is to clean and re-seal the differential this Thursday. I have some misc parts on their way and last thing needed is the clutch & flywheel which I’m looking at getting the Sachs clutch and F1 Racing lightweight flywheel. Here are some pictures until then.

Used manual open 3.23 differential from a 1992 525i with around 150k miles and in great shape.

The new seals… just need to get some mobil1 gear fluid and do this stuff Thursday.

Here’s the clutch pilot bearing for the ZF and fits…no dirty minds lolz

Here’s my original auto/ spare 4.10 diff verses the manual 3.23 diff. They are both medium case differentials but the differences are the input flanges as the manual is a little bit longer and the output flanges are the same. I have an lsd4.10 in the car right now and maybe later down the road I can get an lsd3.23 but right now I’m ok with what I got since 3.23’s are hard to find right now. Also taking the support mounts off the old one to place on the new one.

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:45 am

Update: Hey Guys…I finished re-sealing the differential and was very easy with the help from a DIY on bimmerforums E34 section. It’s always nice knowing that all these parts are clean, re-sealed, new fluid and ready to rock’n roll. My progress of this swap is really coming along and hope to have all the rest of misc parts soon and clutch and flywheel and then preparing, researching and figuring out my install of all these parts. Here’s the pictures of the differential re-seal (I used a DIY by LouieD, forums.bimmerforums.co...=1401231):

Here’s the output seals, rear cover seal and gear fluid.

First we need to drain the old fluid out first. Undue the rear fill plug a tad and what I did was hold the rear diff support while a friend lifted the front upward making the rear face downward and let the fluid drain out.

Take the diff speed sensor off by unbolting it and placing to the side. There is a gasket on it so don’t lose that and clean it if you see debris on it.

Time for the rear cover seal…unbolt the various rear bolts and pull the cover off. You can see the old seal that is sealed to the rear cover so we need to clean the cover as well as scrap off the old seal.

All clean and ready to seal up.

I placed Victor Reinz sealer on the diff, placed the seal on and sealer on the other side and placed cover on top…then bolt up.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  5-8 Series
Page 1 of 2