AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Thu April 19, 2018, 1:57 pm
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 1-4 Series › Small update
Small update
All things 1, 2, 3 and 4 series
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  1-4 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:28 pm
Post subject: Re: Small update

Ok, i discovered that the source of my high idle really was that coolant operated valve from a couple posts up. Small pair of vise grips on the vacuum hose fixed my idle. who woulda thought?!

Next order of business: Rebuilding it.

This engine has definitely seen better days and i want a reliable DD. So i am going to rebuild the engine with a new crankshaft in it. I was going carefully over the engine build sheet and something i dont think ever occured to me was that this has a 2.3L crank in it and the ETA block has been bored ".020 over.

So with a stroke of 3.023in (76.8mm) it effectively puts the displacement at 2.583L and not making it a stroker at all.

Now i would love to just throw an ETA crank in it, but i have no idea what the specs on those custom pistons are. I might make contact with that much stroke. It already has 2.5L 135mm conrods in it, and a 885 head so now im going to put a 2.5L crank in it. So it will basically be an overbored M20B25.

I understand that the 2.5 crank has a shorter stroke but not by much and it gives me peace of mind that i wont be making piston-head contact with that. So with the new crank it will be 2.523L, compare that to the old one and its a negligible difference.

Now i just have to source a crank and bearings.

Merry christmas everyone.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:11 am

Why not just use a stock eta bottom end?

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:27 am

wkohler wrote:
Why not just use a stock eta bottom end?

Because i dont know the specs on those pistons and i have a 885 head. i cant just throw a eta crank in there without spending time to find out and then change it all. i just want to be able to have all the parts ready (whether they are needed or not) and do it over a weekend.

plus i really dont want to take the head off unless absolutely necessary.

and arent eta cranks cast while 2.5's are forged?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:37 am

I wasn't suggesting you use those pistons. Just a stock eta bottom. I did read your post. I don't think the 2.5 crank is forged either. I know the Td crank is.

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Wow, a year since the last update. A lot has been going on but im afraid not much progress has been made on the e21. I have been working on it however.

The engine developed a really bad rod knock and i had just bought the e28 so I thought it was a good time to give the ol' girl a little refresh.

I started tearing down the engine because i was really praying it was something in the head. I knew it wouldnt be but i did it anyway. Another reason was just to see if there were any cracks and the condition of the valves and pistons.
Other than some heavy soot buildup in the combustion chamber from running so rich for so long, the head is in great shape. No warpage, no cracks, no scale buildup in the coolant passages. The pistons looks great as well. some soot, no signs of pre-ignition or detonation, which makes me a happy camper because i heard it ping a few times.

Untitled by gjktaylor, on Flickr
My phone was charging so i had to use the toaster

So i pretty much concluded that the really bad knocking noise is coming from the bottom end. Either the main bearings or the rod bearings.
Thats where progress stopped on the engine because i am in need of a engine hoist/cherry picker to get the block out.

I then decided to turn my attention to the interior of the car. Im 6'3" and every inch is precious when it comes to leg/knee room and head room. So with the A/C center console being shaped the way it is my knee would get pinned between the steering wheel and the console. And because the A/C didnt work anyway, i decided to remove it. I had already removed the condenser and compressor last year when i did the timing belt so its not like i was really missing anything.

For real before and after photos refer to the ones earlier in this thread.
Here is before i removed the evaporator box and after i removed it. There is a huge difference in knee room now.

The next step is removing and lowering the seat mounts. As they are now, they are approximately 3 inches above the floorboards. And my head is jammed against the roof.

Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:59 pm

I have a 731 euro head. that will a eta bottom end will be a high comp, 6500Rpm motor...

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm

I have two 885 heads and a 2.5L crank. Whats the difference between a 731 and a 885?

GatoEnFuego
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm

bastarde38 wrote:
I have two 885 heads and a 2.5L crank. Whats the difference between a 731 and a 885?

731 has smaller valves but more appropriately sized combustion chambers for slightly higher compression.

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:26 pm

Well i guess i will stick with the 885 then.

Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 am

bastarde38 look it up. the highest hp na m20 uses a 731 head...
www.e30tech.com/forum/...01&page=15

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:39 am

I understand that. But im not a horsepower junkie like most. I just want something with a little pep and a lot of potential miles. I brought my son home from the hospital in this car, i want him to be passing his license test in it. Know what i mean?

Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:15 pm

O ok. then 2.7 with the 885 will be just fine.

rmehrIV
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:12 am

I totally forgot that you had this car! I can't wait for next post!
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:54 pm

OK, so some good and bad news. Good news is i found the source of the knock. Bad news is that it was two spun bearings.

When i got the block out i removed the oil pan and found some gold flakes so i will be getting those appraised any day now.

No but really thats bearing copper. Doesnt bode very well for my little engine.

So i tore it all the way down. With help from my boy.

Oh goodie, look what i found

I have no idea how those bearings on the right could do that but they did. Usually when i see a spun bearing it looks like the ones on the left.

I inspected everything and it looks like those were the only damage it sustained. The rod journals with the spun bearings just need a slight polishing, nothing major. All the main bearings and journals look so good that im tempted to reuse them. But i wont. I measured everything and its all in spec and wearing evenly.

I was also under the impression that i had a shorter stroke crankshaft from the euro 2.3 but it turns out that it is a 2.5 crank. And it has already been balanced and polished so i dont even need my spare that i have.

My crank on the left, spare on the right

So my head is good, my block and pistons are good, my crank is good. I basically dont need anything from that spare engine. I think i will make a coffee table for the man cave.

giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Damn dude, that's crazy! What's the game plan?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  1-4 Series
Page 6 of 7