AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Mon June 18, 2018, 5:46 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 1-4 Series › Small update
Small update
All things 1, 2, 3 and 4 series
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  1-4 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottinQC
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:37 am
Post subject: Re: Small update

adjust the belt. chances of breaking the belt are higher than wearing bearings. neither is good, but a busted belt is worse.....

VANOS: Going Full Retard since 1993...

1998 740iL (SchlactShiff)
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:25 pm

well continuing in the spirit of the never ending problem list, i decided to chase down my idle issue a bit more.

This time i went after the coolant-operated air-slide valve (why they designed this i will never know).

I knew my WUR is in working order and when i would squeeze the vacuum hose coming from the valve to the intake manifold, the idle would drop. Bingo. so i took it out.

it looked a little haggard

this is what it looked like when cold. it works the same way as the electric ones do, allowing more metered air to the engine while cold to help the idle stay up.

This the port where the vacuum hoses attach. As you can see, its wide open when cold.

And this is where the coolant hoses go. I have yet to determine the direction of flow but i know one coolant hose goes from the valve, makes a 90deg turn straight into the block. The other hose goes to the bottom section of what the WUR mounts to. And another hose goes from the WUR up to the thermostat housing. Interesting i know.

Close up view. Made in West Germany. Thats how you know its good.

So decided to test it to see if it even worked. It does, but it doesnt close all the way. Still trying to determine if this is normal.

Also replaced both of the old coolant and vacuum hoses.

Thats it for now.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:18 pm

I got tired of looking at a coolant bottle that looks all lopsided and would fall off its mounts at any point in time. So...

I cut off the previous horribly executed mounts and made my own. By that i mean i went through my scrap bin and found some angled bits of metal and welded them on.

Be easy on my welds, im still a novice beginner.

Then decided the easiest way of attaching the coolant bottle was to weld some cap screws to the mounts so i didnt have to fiddle with trying to hold a bolt and a nut while attaching/detaching.

one side has a metal spacer welded in also to give a little more height to the front.

yes i used flux-core.

and here it is sittin pretty.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 pm

lol, your novice welds suck. A+ for effort and ingenuity though!

For the record, I can't even solder....

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:40 am

Haha yeah thanks. They look alot better than some of my earlier stuff though.

I cant believe you cant solder. After all the work done to your car, you expect me to believe that?

scottinQC
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:20 am

play with your wire speed a bit. seems to have been popping and sputtering when you were welding. A touch faster would yield better results.

VANOS: Going Full Retard since 1993...

1998 740iL (SchlactShiff)
giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:11 pm

bastarde38 wrote:
I cant believe you cant solder. After all the work done to your car, you expect me to believe that?

It's true, actually.

I am quite adamant about using good connectors AND shrink tube. Now that I set up an actual work bench in the garage I will practice my soldering skills.

I would love to learn to weld, that my friend is a true skill-set when working on older cars.

sterling
Is fassssst!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

giantkeeper wrote:
I would love to learn to weld, that my friend is a true art-form when working on older cars.

Fixed.
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Art form is right. My father works for a welding company and does it all day long. I asked him for some pointers and he said after all this time he still doesnt quite have it down and isnt worthy of giving advice. Fucker.

wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Ima have to use that line.

"Can you look at this E28 for me or at least tell me what to look for?"

"After all this time, I still don't know much about these cars, so I'm not worthy of giving advice."

I like it.

JAGER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:09 pm

You should practice welding on that RV in the front of your place Gabe!
tttoon
Yuro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:15 pm

That's how I know where Gabe lives. I see the RV from the airplane.

"It looks like an M5, but is actually a '99 323i"
vdubvance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm always happy to lend advice.

Disclaimer: Use at own discretion.

Looks great bastard! Damn, I woulda killed for those recaros!
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Well i havnt driven it for a while because it just doesnt like the cold and im tired of chasing vacuum leaks. But i finally got my act together and some spare time and decided to check a couple things over.

I discovered my injector seals are just worn the fuck out. One of my injectors wasnt actually seated in the port. I ordered new seals but decided i couldnt wait, i needed it back on the road.

The injectors were a lot easier than i thought to remove. Just a nice little tug with a pry bar and pop goes the weasel.

The injectors themselves were in tiptop shape, but those seals....

It was getting late at this point so i just wanted to get it done and not worry about taking pictures.

But long story short, i cleaned everything up, including the ports themselves by shoving paper towels in the holes and soaking them with carb cleaner, it works really well.

I eventually re-installed the old seals with something i was just taking a chance on, Teflon Tape! and you know what? it works. Car likes the cold now

Next issue: i discovered the source of my high idle, for real this time. stay tuned.

tttoon
Yuro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Good job big red, good job!

"It looks like an M5, but is actually a '99 323i"
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  1-4 Series
Page 5 of 7