AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Thu April 19, 2018, 1:53 pm
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 1-4 Series › Small update
Small update
All things 1, 2, 3 and 4 series
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  1-4 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 am
Post subject: Small update

So, as some of you know, i recently acquired a 1981 320is from francisco. when i first purchased said vehicle, she was in a state of disrepair. although the engine runs (with a jump) there were other areas i wanted to focus my attention on. So i took this week off from vacation and went down to the shop everyday and put some work into it. I realized right away that some stupid fucking crackhead tweakers broke my rear passenger window, and busted up my passenger door lock and center console, just to steal the rear speakers on the parcel shelf. so i huffed and puffed and cursed the education system and bad parenting, then walked out to the parts car and replaced the window and console. cant do much about the lock. fuck tweakers. so here are some pictures to illustrate my progress.

the day i picked it up. one flat tire and horrible brakes.

a peek under the hood. M20 with the E21 323 k-jetronic fuel injection.

Here has been the big headache. the rats nest of wiring. Francisco did a good job labeling the wires but the real headache was untangling the whole mess. i needed my turn signals to work and that meant i had to dive head first into this mess. I eventually started cutting wires, untangling them, and soldering back together. I got everything hooked up and called it a day.

Before

After

And also due the improper sizing of the tires-to-fender ratio and the added weight that i bring to the table, the front tires scrub...really fuckin bad. but only on the front of wheel to the rear of the bumper area. So since i didnt like that aircraft carrier deck they call a bumper and the notable scrub issues, i removed it.

I have also resolved a number of drivability issues, none of the photogenic type, so thats it for now. just letting you guys know.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
KINGAMR
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:21 am
Post subject: Re: Small update

Good work Gabe.

vdubvance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Sweet! Been waiting for this. Nice score!
boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:34 pm

Lookin' forward to monitoring progress. Good luck, Gabe.
tttoon
Yuro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:33 pm

You need some of them euro bumpers and an m30. Good luck!

"It looks like an M5, but is actually a '99 323i"
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:20 am

Not everyone can be euro as fuck, toon. Im trying to find a way to keep the bbs front air dam on the without installing bumpers.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
JAGER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Nice work!
scottinQC
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 pm

bastarde38 wrote:
Im trying to find a way to keep the bbs front air dam on the without installing bumpers.

I hear sheetrock screws and Zip ties work real good for that....

Fuck, Ive had an E30 too long......

VANOS: Going Full Retard since 1993...

1998 740iL (SchlactShiff)
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:32 am

you know it might come to that scott. but i am going to be more discreet with them then your average e30 owner.

ti_kid
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:20 am

you fit in this thing?? i want to see this. whens it coming to a meet? ill make it out to one to see this
scottinQC
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 pm

ti_kid wrote:
you fit in this thing?? i want to see this. whens it coming to a meet? ill make it out to one to see this

Amazing what you can fit in a small place with enough Astroglide....

VANOS: Going Full Retard since 1993...

1998 740iL (SchlactShiff)
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:04 pm

yes i fit in it, quite comfortably too. just takes a little flexibilty to get in and out. it was the same story with my e30. i got used to it.

bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:33 am

so its been a couple months. and that calls for another small update on this labor of love.
well i ran into a problem with the idle. its high, like around 1500-2000. i smoked it numerous times and fixed all vacuum leaks. it still idles high. When i pull a vacuum line or the dipstick or oil fill cap, it stumbles badly. So i know its not a vacuum leak. I have narrowed it down to the fuel distributor or the WUR (warm up regulator). Video for illustration purposes:

Ive mostly been messing with that issue.
So last time you guys saw it, i had the front bench seat removed. Today i installed the BBS front airdam and attached the rubber bump strip from the metal bumper to cover up those god-awful holes meant for the bumper shocks. I figured the only way to install both was to take Scotts advice. (sans zipties) And since the thing was all busted up already...why not.

I also fixed a couple electrical problems like the fuel gauge wasnt working, back-up lights dont work, rebuilt the hazard switch (if you know anything about e21's, you know the hazard is the end all be all of electrical problems). While i was at it, i cleaned up the interior and got rid of all of Francisco's old trash and broken glass from when it got broken into.
Voila

I think i will wash it tomorrow in preparation for thursday. But for now it is tucked in safely behind the 7.

JAGER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Good stuff Gabe! Sadly I won't have the custom motor mounts and transmission mounts finished this week. Work sent me out of town and I will have to attempt that project later.
Dizman
Googler Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Looking good dude, coming along nicely

Previous - 2008 E92 M3 (SOLD! Bought a house)
Current - 1999 E36 M3 Vert (FAIL! Autotragic)
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  1-4 Series
Page 1 of 7