AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Thu October 19, 2017, 9:11 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 18:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Sep 30, 2017 at 20:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 02:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 16:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 18:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 20, 2017 at 20:34:29

wtb: open 3.25, 3.46, 3.73 diff
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 20, 2017 at 20:33:57

Looking for an E36 M3 - 5 speed
Last post by ambition in General Discussion on Jul 01, 2017 at 22:50:51

WTB BMW E21 back seat
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Jun 12, 2017 at 15:50:33

Mpg drop
Last post by bmw325i in 5-8 Series on Jun 08, 2017 at 21:11:14

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 5-8 Series › E28 Alpina B7 Turbo - Update 05-14-13
E28 Alpina B7 Turbo - Update 05-14-13
All things 5, 6, 7 and 8 series
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  5-8 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:06 pm
Post subject: Re: E28 Alpina B7 Turbo - Update 02-16-13

So, most of the stuff I've been doing lately has involved making sure all the wiring I need is where it is inside the car. As I've said before this car once had a big stereo and an alarm, so now that all of that wiring has been removed and no one ever responded to my request for some non-premium sound wiring, I had to take matters into my own hands and went to the yard.

I came back with remnants of stereo wiring from a few cars, none of them E28s as our yards had exactly one E28 and being a super eta with premium sound, it will not work for me. I did get the antenna wiring from this car though.

So, I ended up pulling the harnesses out of an E30 and all the wires are the same as E28. It was a little screwed up from douche-nozzles destroying the dashboard, but with cheating off the 533, I got it figured out without much issue. Fortunately, the rear speaker harness was complete in my car, so I got everything working and can put that all where it needs to go, then put the interior back together.

With that sorted, I decided to spend a bit of time on the front of the car. The valance had a bit of overspray on it from the chip guard, so before I did anything with it, I said, "This is Mike's problem" and drove out to Mesa. He took care of it no problem. little thinner, some wet sanding and buffing. Came back home and bolted it up. Forgot my phone had a camera so no photos.

Then I put the bumper together last night. Disappointed that the right front corner has a couple marks in it and my new bumper trim has a bunch of sharp indentations/impressions in it, but I can't afford to keep buying stuff I've already bought.

Still forgot photos. I started getting antsy. I decided to call the dealer this morning and buy the ten expanding nuts to put my lights in the valance. They've used them on every car since these were made, so they have to stock them and stock them they did. At $.36 each, I decided you can never have too many, so I bought 16. Not sure how I arrived at that number, but it was more than 10 and less than I needed to do two cars, so seems about right.

Three years ago, I bought brand new turn signals and grilles. Never looked at them. Found out a few weeks back that whoever "built" the assemblies was a moron and put E23/E24 plugs on them.

I had some pigtails from the signals that I used on my 535is. I searched everywhere for a tool to take them apart, but I didn't want to pay $60. Then I looked at the wiring on the car and I noticed the Federalized running light was actually done nicely with heatshrink, etc and runs off of the city light circuit, so it can't be that bad to keep it. My housings were nice, too, so I cleaned them up and just used the new lenses. This meant removing them from the 528i, replacing those with another okay set I had and moving on. Fogs installed and time for a photo.

Then I said, "I can't just leave it there, so I need to put my lights in."

I had bought some lamps from Ivo. I didn't like the French high beams for this car, but wanted them for something else. I dipped into my newly delivered set of lamps from Schmiedmann and replaced the high beams. Twice. I installed them upside down only to find the spring wouldn't connect. So, I did it over. Replaced the bulbs and installed the wiper motors, etc.

Then I figured we need grilles. So, I grabbed those grilles I bought a few years ago and put them in.

Then I looked at it harder and said, let's put those wipers on.

I also decided that the photo would look stupid without the roundel, so I set one on the hood.

The anchors for the screws for the spoiler survived removal, but only three came back from the shop. I went searching for a suitable option, but every "expanding nut" was square. I had round holes and learned at an early age that it doesn't work.

I bought something out of boredom, but no worky. I decided on the way home that if this doesn't work, Machine screws, fender washers and nuts were the solution. Precisely what I did using metric stainless stuff, but I kept the nuts zinc plated.

And here's the spoiler.

After that, I grabbed my real camera, pushed the car out and took a few photos of the progress so far.

I've got the tow hook extension, but it's in Georgia right now. It was in two pieces, so I offered it for duplication, and it should be repaired and I should be getting one of the duplicates if I understood the arrangement correctly.

Then, I got an idea.

That's all for now. Very Happy

tttoon
Yuro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:35 pm

I texted this but

ohhhhhhhmahgaaaaaaaaaaddddddd

"It looks like an M5, but is actually a '99 323i"
bastarde38
Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:17 pm

anal retentive OCD at its finest.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
Mtrace
Lord of the flywheels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Lord Jesus its a fire....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 pm

That second to last shot is a BAVauto cover shot, sans the Focus in the background. Amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 pm

The Fuckus can be Photo-chopped.

Excellent work, as usual.
TheVolta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 am

tttoon wrote:
I texted this but

ohhhhhhhmahgaaaaaaaaaaddddddd

This times 5x. Your attention to detail is something I envy.

[URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198064"]My build[/URL][/CENTER]

[thread=198064]My Build[/thread]
SpikeX5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10 am

NICE

02' e53 BMW X5 3.0i
Sport Package, with 03 model body

Brembo Rotors & EBC Red-stuff Pads. Bilstein Shock & Strut Set - PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56 am
Post subject: Re: E28 Alpina B7 Turbo - Update 02-17-13

Sure, I know I said this update is for the 17th and today is the 18th, but it's been a long day, I'm tired and I actually plan to do more work on Monday (the 18th), so I decided this is the best route to go.

I got started pretty late today - around 2pm. I started off by running the antenna wiring. Before I did that, though, I had to separate the antenna coax cable from the power wiring, which meant unwrapping 4.5x10²³ feet of electrical tape from this ridiculously long cable. Then using adhesive cleaner to remove all of the gunk. routed the cable, installed the antenna and you apparently have an uncle named Robert.

Then it's time to give the carpet a really thorough vacuum. Battery died in the camera.

Then, I moved onto installing the parcel shelf. Before that could go in, though, the rear seatbelts must be installed. This meant making holes in my new headliner. Talk about scary - if you don't know where they go. Got that all sorted with some minor alterations and now we are ready for the shelf! Yesterday, I mounted the speakers to the parcel shelf. Fortunately, when the speakers were changed sometime over the years, they retained the Pioneer spacer dealies from the original speakers, which allowed a 6" driver to be installed without modifying the sheetmetal beheath them. These have many holes provided in them, so I was ecstatic to learn that there were four holes perfectly in line with the speed nuts for the 4x6" holes. The speaker mounts with three screws, two of which are the same ones that mount the base to the board, so that's great, too. Has to be great. Can't be not-great.

Battery charged, yo.

In the background, you can see my E12 M535i living the dream.

With that in and the headrest grommets secured (hammer and wood block just to be sure), it was time for the rear seat. I was fortunate with this car that the original upholstery was in overall excellent condition. The door panels were the only disappointing part, but merely a result of the normal shrinkage seen with BMW cloth (my car did not come with Alpina cloth on the door panels).

Rear seat is in. Photo is pre-re-cleaning. Apparently when you handle stuff, it gets dirty again.

Then I got a phone call. Using one hand, and occasionally holding the phone with my shoulder, I prepared my "new" dashboard. This involved making sure all of the vents and ducts were clean and were the original ones to the car, etc, as the dash I received had a couple of ducts and they were broken.

I was saved by a guy on a bicycle who thought I was a dealer and wanted me to find him a junk E36 M3 so he could make an electric dragster. I suggested he could accomplish his goal with a 318i or 325i but he was pretty adamant on the M3. He left. Time to install the dash.

From no dash to dash fully secured in 17 minutes. This involved installing the front door caps to make sure the dash was at the right location.

Center console is back in. Was a lot easier installing the auxiliary gauge vent system now that I know how it works. It was a bit of a struggle on removal since there is a connector of power, inputs, etc and a vacuum hose. On the bottom is where the output to the display goes. I'm very happy I have no air conditioning.

Around 7pm, I decided that I needed some dinner and the dogs definitely needed their dinner, so I took a break. I was almost ready to call it a day, but decided not to. I almost wish I had!

First task was installing the visor panel. This way I could put the a-pillar covers in and the body door frame seals. We all know what those look like, so I saw no point in photos. I trimmed the headliner to the correct opening and the sunroof deflector is back in too, as it secures the rear most edge of the vinyl. On to installing the radio.

I had been searching for over a year for the correct radio for this car. I've seen them on German eBay, but they're afraid to sell the heritage of their nation to me, an 'murican, so I was always shot down. Between that and purchasing the correct speaker covers from a UK eBayer, only to not receive them, I've had poor luck with the stereo for this car. Believe it or not, Blaupunkt made several different models of this radio and they all look the same. I was looking for the specific model, but have acquired a pretty nice collection of Montereys, and also received a shipment of one Monterey SQR 23, a Köln SQR 22, and a Köln SQR 23. The latter, being the correct one, after all this time.

I knew all of my stereo wiring worked. I tested it with a known good stock BMW radio. Time to plug in the correct one. Nothing. No power. Come to find out exactly ZERO of the three radios I received work at all. No power. Nothing. One had a blown fuse and one had no fuse, but I had known good fuses I swapped in. No dice. I then decided to just put a Monterey in for now. Four Montereys later and I have one that works, doesn't smell like an ashtray but lacks a tape deck. Oh well. It's easy enough to change, I guess.

Fed up with that process and installing my nemesis on the left side of the dash, I decided to call it quits for tonight.

The carpet needs another thorough vacuum. All that's left for the interior is to install the visors themselves, the front seatbelts, B-pillar covers and the front seats. Then it's just sunroof and doors, which can't be done until the clips arrive for the trim atop the windows, as they must be installed before the window guides and the rear quarter windows for sure!

I could probably be working more quickly, but I'm too concerned about organization and being able to find things quickly and easily. It certainly slows things down a bit.

wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 am
Post subject: Re: E28 Alpina B7 Turbo - Update 03-10-13

So, its been a while. Friday, the 22nd, I figured it wouldn't take me much time to put the sunroof together. I've done so many of them, it should be easy. I opened my new sunroof headliner and was a bit disappointed (not disappointed at all with the purchase - David was fantastic!).

The 528i is my workbench now. If you're curious, note the earlier photo of my real work bench. The E12 is quite used up as well.

The reason I opted to go for a new piece was while my original was nice, my headliner was new, so why not go new? You can't just have one recovered because there's no way to put the heat-treated stitching in there like factory.

Well, apparently, they don't do that anymore.

Sad

So, it is new. That's fine. Something else is missing.

The new one doesn't have these. So, it's off to get some rivets. Sad

I got aluminum rivets for this purpose since I wanted to be sure I could deform it enough before popping, as I didn't think that would happen with steel. Believe it or not, but the original rivets are only used on E12, E21, E23, E24, E28 and E30 and this is the only place on the car. My local dealer flat-out REFUSED to order them - even if I ordered the necessary 500 or whatever their minimum quantity is. That's why I went with normal rivets.

I got them as tight as I could and stretched the fabric as much as possible before making the hole, but that's the best we could do. Unlike the original, the new one is quite puffy on the edges as the foamy material is new, not 25 years old.

I snapped the arms into the bar, took the sunroof guides apart, slid it into position, put everything back together and bolted the roof in, making the necessary adjustments. I couldn't slide the new liner forward enough to clip into the roof. Finally after about twenty minutes, it made it. Then it got hung up halfway closed and wouldn't budge.

I decided to take it apart again. Then Gabe came by. I thought I found the issue and went to clip it together again, only this time, the plastic receiver that the arms clip into broke on the left side, causing the headliner panel to end up cockeyed. What I didn't realize was that the arm flipped over the top of the ear which raises the rear of the headliner, pushing up on the roof panel. I didn't realize this had happened every time I moved the sunroof to try to free the screw up.

We finally got it unstuck with minimal damage (obviously not in the mood for photos here). Sadly, there were several minor scratches on the top of the trailing edge of the sunroof, but they went beyond the clear, necessitating a repaint.

I dropped it off Saturday morning along with the fuel door which had some imperfections I wasn't satisfied with. No chance of the car being finished before our local concours (I wasn't rushing as I was going to be out of town anyway).

Sunday, I did some research on rivets while at work. I decided to use the aluminum ones again and trim them once affixed. To replace all of the stuff I broke, I took the sunroof apart in the 745i and harvested everything I needed from that - and it was actually all much nicer than the original stuff to the Alpina. I got it all put back together and then pulled the headliner all the way forward, leaving it for later. This way, the foamy stuff would learn the dimensions of the channel, hopefully mitigating future issues.

My big box of hardware showed up finally. Still some stuff I needed to order, but this will allow me to start putting the doors together.

On early doors, the rubber bumpers are on the door, rather than the handle. The originals are non-reusable since you destroy them when removing. Once I installed the "distance rubbers," I could put the door handles on, which means I could open the doors with a handle rather than pulling on rods inside the door. I also got the clips necessary to install the trim atop the windows. Good thing I ordered more than I needed as several of them came damaged and weren't salvageable. Of course, I should expect that as there isn't a new piece of trim on this car without some sort of flaw. It's pretty disappointing. Buy new thinking you're getting perfect stuff. I also could finally put my locks in with my new gaskets and trim pieces.

So, in short order, I had all of this done on both sides:

Next up, I installed the quarter windows and the rear window guides for the rear doors. I was leaving for Texas and figured this would be a good time for them to get used to their position. I'd make adjustments upon my return.

I came home from Texas and after getting some critical work done, I decided to relax. Tuesday night, I put the redone sunroof in. No muss, no fuss, no drama. Took all of ten minutes. Sucks because I wanted to take the car back to Mike and go, "HA! I didn't screw anything up." I guess what I did screw up was minor though.

Wednesday, I worked on the right side of the car and cleaned up the window regulators and got all of that installed. Then the glass. Everything worked as it should.

Thursday, after work, I finished putting the right doors together.

To do the other side, I've got to turn the car around, which involves moving two cars.

Back into the garage for the same thing on the other side.

Everything worked perfectly except the right front lock actuator. Will sort that once I have one.

Next up, I have to recover door panels and make my vapor barrier. I had saved enough between the 8 doors I had to make enough for one good car, but it wouldn't have been nice enough. Last year, MLastovo gave me 4 sheets of this peel and stick vinyl sheeting which we used on his car for vapor barrier and it worked well. I used my pieces as templates.

Here, I realized I forgot to zip tie the wiring harnesses back to the door, so I took care of that.

The problem with the original door cards was that the cloth had shrunken. It wasn't terrible on the edges but was a problem around the plug for the window motors and the door handle/armrest.

Amazingly, this is the most illustrative photo I've got.

It also didn't really match the interior of the car. So, rather than buying the factory stuff again (which I couldn't, but World Upholstery had something close), I decided to try my hand at one of our local trim suppliers. My car didn't come with Alpina cloth on the door cards. I was hoping Pedi got to keep his original cloth from his car, but the upholsterer tossed it, so I was left to my original plan.

I bought a fabric that was the right texture and I felt would work, only to bring it home to find it was too black. None more black. I returned it, surrendering 30% of my refund for restocking. I bought something else and discovered I was again an idiot. Another 30% lost. The final time, I came with the original fabric, the door card frame and a headrest and wasn't leaving until I found something. I think I did okay this time. It matches well in color (iPhone photo doesn't help), and it has a similar appearance to the Alpina cloth. I bought two yards, it was on clearance, so they gave me everything they had left (nearly 3 yards - I think they felt sorry for me).

Once all of those were installed, it was time to mount the license plate (new stainless hardware and rubber feet to protect the paint from the bracket) and install the trunk badges.

So, it's still not 100% finished, but there's not much left to do cosmetically. Wheels are still being refinished, I hope.

I drove it around the block today. Still don't have the rear muffler on, so I'll be looking into taking it to have a custom stainless exhaust made. We will see how that goes, but for now, I'm ready to clean up the mess I've made in my garage.

giantkeeper
AZBMW Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:27 am

I cannot wait to see the car in person. Thank jeebus for OCD!

Drift30
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:13 am

great work!

xAZxE30x
Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Wow!!! Mmmmm those seats!!

Soulless Ginger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Great work. i was wondering why you hadnt updated in a while. you were just saving up to give us this glorious post.

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / ??? ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference
SpikeX5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Impressive job mate

Have you chosen euro front license plate?

02' e53 BMW X5 3.0i
Sport Package, with 03 model body

Brembo Rotors & EBC Red-stuff Pads. Bilstein Shock & Strut Set - PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  5-8 Series
Page 4 of 6