AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Thu May 24, 2018, 9:50 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

NASA AZ @ Bondurant : April 21-22, 2018
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Mar 31, 2018 at 22:25:16

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › Other BMW Models › Sport Seats FTMFW!
Sport Seats FTMFW!
Everything manufactured by BMW, branded or not
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm
Post subject: Sport Seats FTMFW!

Sand beige front sport seats are on their way to me via UPS ground! The touring will be so happy and oh so much sharper for it. (Gawd, I hate my current seats.)

I'm so excited. Sand beige sport seats are hard to come by, and when you can find some, the seller wants an arm and a leg for poorly maintained examples. I began to wonder if I'd ever find some that I could afford (with shipping) and were in good shape. All other mods should be a lot easier to source and, for the most part, less expensive.

I know Peter has retrofitted sport seats in his touring; so P-diddy, anything I should know for the swap? Can I do this myself?

They should arrive at the office on Monday! Damn, I'm stoked! I feel like I'm finally making progress on the touring. Just gotta get my coilovers - which are on order and still haven't reached our shores.
AriZonaD54
Hard Parker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:37 pm
Post subject: Re: Sport Seats FTMFW!

When you fart on sand beige sport seats, they turn brown. Be careful.

WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:38 pm

AriZonaD54 wrote:
When you fart on sand beige sport seats, they turn brown. Be careful.

I don't even wanna know how you know this.....

WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 pm

boastless wrote:
Sand beige front sport seats are on their way to me via UPS ground! The touring will be so happy and oh so much sharper for it. (Gawd, I hate my current seats.)

I'm so excited. Sand beige sport seats are hard to come by, and when you can find some, the seller wants an arm and a leg for poorly maintained examples. I began to wonder if I'd ever find some that I could afford (with shipping) and were in good shape. All other mods should be a lot easier to source and, for the most part, less expensive.

I know Peter has retrofitted sport seats in his touring; so P-diddy, anything I should know for the swap? Can I do this myself?

They should arrive at the office on Monday! Damn, I'm stoked! I feel like I'm finally making progress on the touring. Just gotta get my coilovers - which are on order and still haven't reached our shores.

I did the non sport electric, to sport manual swap in the 530i. It was direct bolt in. As far as power seats as long as they are either both facelift or both prefacelift you shouldnt have an issue. If the ones you are putting in are different (facelift v prefacelift) then the harness is going to be different, but you should be able to make it work. the brackets and "hardware" are all the same

Congrats on getting the seats you wanted. I had to look for quite a while to find black leather manual sport seats.

boastless
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 pm

killerkiko wrote:

I did the non sport electric, to sport manual swap in the 530i. It was direct bolt in. As far as power seats as long as they are either both facelift or both prefacelift you shouldnt have an issue. If the ones you are putting in are different (facelift v prefacelift) then the harness is going to be different, but you should be able to make it work. the brackets and "hardware" are all the same

Congrats on getting the seats you wanted. I had to look for quite a while to find black leather manual sport seats.

Thanks Francisco!

My understanding is that the wire harness changed to the newer one with the 09/97+ production dates. The seller (Jared @ EAC Tuning) said that the BMW part numbers on the seat are the same as the sport seats that came on the 2002 (mine). For these two reasons, I believe that the harness should be plug-and-play, but I'm prepared to do some modifying if they don't match.

By the way, they are electric with heat! Woot! I will have to save up for the switch panel with the seat heat buttons to complete the retrofit and have the added benefit of warm buns. Laughing

Last edited by boastless on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
hon2bmw
Curb Surfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Make sure you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for about an hour before you change out the seats, or at least disconnect them. If not you will get an airbag warning light on the dash that will need to be reset.

I did this and still got the light, although mine where definitely sitting in a junk yard, or at least got wet at some point, so I may just have faulty sensor in them anyway.

The biggest PITA with the install was the damn seat belt height adjuster cable. Its attached to the sliding portion of the seat belt on the B pillars and is essentially a steel cable coming out of the floor that attaches to a bracket on the bottom of the seat.

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 am

hon2bmw wrote:
Make sure you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for about an hour before you change out the seats, or at least disconnect them. If not you will get an airbag warning light on the dash that will need to be reset.

Will do...

hon2bmw wrote:
The biggest PITA with the install was the damn seat belt height adjuster cable. Its attached to the sliding portion of the seat belt on the B pillars and is essentially a steel cable coming out of the floor that attaches to a bracket on the bottom of the seat.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does the height adjuster cable interact with the seat? Can you clarify if this is an issue when removing the old seats, installing the new seats, or both? Any advice, having done it yourself, in mitigating the difficulty?

TIA.
hon2bmw
Curb Surfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:11 am

boastless wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but how does the height adjuster cable interact with the seat? Can you clarify if this is an issue when removing the old seats, installing the new seats, or both? Any advice, having done it yourself, in mitigating the difficulty?

TIA.

the cable attaches to the bottom of the seat. As you move the seat forwards and backwards it pulls on the cable and makes the attachment point on the B-pillar move up and down depending on where the seat is.

It is obviously tensioned as its the attached to the seat belt so its constantly being pulled downwards.

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:16 am

Gotcha. That makes sense.

What made that a PITA? Is it that you have to mount the seat and then connect the cable afterward, leaving little clearance to get in there and attach it?
bullfrog
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 am

Ed, I thought you got a Audi wagon?

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:00 pm

bullfrog wrote:
Ed, I thought you got a Audi wagon?

Eh? I did, but what the heck does that have to do with this thread? J, take your meds. Everyone else, carry on Rolling Eyes
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models
Page 1 of 1