AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Sun February 18, 2018, 11:11 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

1998 740Il no start no crank
Last post by sbadger in The Garage on Feb 05, 2018 at 12:10:35

Jumped timing on '97 540i NON-VANOS engine?
Last post by m-az in 5-8 Series on Jan 29, 2018 at 20:41:42

WTB Momo or mtech steering wheel 4 E30
Last post by frontin40 in Classifieds/Wanted on Nov 21, 2017 at 22:08:51

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by laplana325i in General Discussion on Oct 03, 2017 at 22:17:25

Selling VW GTI 1997
Last post by bmw325i in Other Models on Oct 01, 2017 at 00:46:51

FS: E30 back seat SOLD
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 26, 2017 at 06:19:48

E46 track car manual coupe
Last post by Drift30 in Classifieds/Wanted on Sep 02, 2017 at 20:12:46

E85 where can I get it
Last post by JimsR in General Discussion on Aug 09, 2017 at 22:14:12

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:34:29

wtb: open 3.25, 3.46, 3.73 diff
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 21, 2017 at 00:33:57

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › Other BMW Models › Custom fiberglass and alcantara center console (E31 content)
Custom fiberglass and alcantara center console (E31 content)
Everything manufactured by BMW, branded or not
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nukeduster
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:23 pm
Post subject: Custom fiberglass and alcantara center console (E31 content)

Hey all, got bored and wanted to simplify and lighten up the center console on my 840ci after doing the 6 speed swap so I took the stock console and cut it down to just a frame then recreated it with fiberglass. Then covered it in black alcantara.

Also took some of the alcantara and made a custom shift boot using the surround trim from the automatic trim ring which I dremeled down so it would fit with the manual shifter, since I didnt like the e31 shift boot options. Using an e46 ZHP weighted 6 speed shift knob. Its truly perfection.

My cameras battery died before I could get some better pics, but this gives you an idea of what it looks like.

I removed all the center console buttons except the all important ASC disable button. I left room for 2 52mm gauges once I decide if I am going to go turbo or not and do a boost gauge or just want to do oil pressure and temp.

Also covered the HVAC controller in a carbon fiber overlay and relocated it from its stock location lower down on the dashboard. Probably going to re-do it eventually, I used a bit too much resin and the finish came out a bit milky. Live and learn.

Comments? Ideas? Haters?

Mr. Unicorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:18 pm
Post subject: Re: Custom fiberglass and alcantara center console (E31 cont

i think it looks sweet!
Amko_smg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:09 am

I like it!

Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:31 am

wow good idea-!! looks uncluttered now and modern-!! very cool-!!
someday I will buy an 8 series-!! love em

God damn you Walter! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuck are you talking about?
Matt
WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 am

Very clean. JWD

WorldTouringChamp
WorldTouringChamp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:04 am

I could say I like it, but I would be lying. The seats and the console just do not look like they belong in an E31.

I do however give you mad props for the 6 speed conversion.

I think a blown 840ci with a 6 speed conversion, 850csi aero kit, 18" m parallels, exhaust, and 3 spoke oem wheel would be my ideal 8.

nukeduster
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:23 am

I'm debating getting the seats covered in microsuede/alcantara too, and having BMW or something embroidered into them. I'm also eventually going to re-do all the leather surfaces in it as well, so its not just one small patch of suedelike material and the rest leather.

I'm debating on which alcantara 3 spoke wheel to go with. There are a few I could make work, just not sure its worth the hassle and its kinda down on the list of things I want to do to my car before I spend the money on a steering wheel.. the center console only cost me about $30 in materials (fiberglass mat, resin, primer, 1 yard microsuede). Just gotta find the time and energy to tackle doing the rest of the interior. Custom gauge cluster is about 3 weeks away...

And that is sapping my energy and funds at the moment getting that ball rolling. Thats just a rough draft.. the finished product will be spaced correctly, and have the little errors fixed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I agree with ambition. I like the six speed conversion. I try extremely hard to keep my cars period correct and with a stock appearance or readily convertible to stock. I still have the original phone, and throwing stars for my E31 albeit not mounted on the car. I would have used standard parts from a six speed E31 for a completely stock appearance. It appears well crafted.
wkohler
Hoard5r

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:49 am

850CSi wrote:
I agree with ambition. I like the six speed conversion. I try extremely hard to keep my cars period correct and with a stock appearance or readily convertible to stock. I still have the original phone, and throwing stars for my E31 albeit not mounted on the car. I would have used standard parts from a six speed E31 for a completely stock appearance. It appears well crafted.

x2 but whatever floats your boat, I guess. I know you're trying to make that pig of a car lighter, but it doesn't fit to my eye.

Nice work regardless.

nukeduster
Cone Killer
Cone Killer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:04 am

Well, I DO still have my stock seats, that's the only thing really needed to get the car back to stock appearance though with no plans on selling her, the only thing I really plan on doing major to change the appearance of the cars interior is possibly re-covering the seats to something like this:

Basically my current seats but re-covered in black leather instead. Though I think I'd prefer dual-tone with the centers being suede and the bolsters being leather.

Also debating doing a 3 point seatbelt install, gunna have to re-work quite a bit of the rear panels to custom mount a structurally sound seatbelt mechanism though. I do enjoy the idea of more stock(sports)-looking interior, and the 4 point harness are very nice but cumbersome to get in and out of quickly in a DD.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Other BMW Models
Page 1 of 1