AZBMW.org
Toggle Content Welcome Guest! Please Register or Login Fri July 21, 2017, 2:43 am
Toggle Content Main Menu

Toggle Content Recent Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

This forum is DEAD!
Last post by bullfrog in General Discussion on Jul 20, 2017 at 20:35:19

FS: E46 M3 KW 2-Way Adjustable Clubsport Coilovers...
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 20, 2017 at 20:34:29

wtb: open 3.25, 3.46, 3.73 diff
Last post by bullfrog in Classifieds/Wanted on Jul 20, 2017 at 20:33:57

Looking for an E36 M3 - 5 speed
Last post by ambition in General Discussion on Jul 01, 2017 at 22:50:51

FS: E30 back seat
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Jun 28, 2017 at 19:28:07

WTB BMW E21 back seat
Last post by meeceboy78 in Classifieds/Wanted on Jun 12, 2017 at 15:50:33

Mpg drop
Last post by bmw325i in 5-8 Series on Jun 08, 2017 at 21:11:14

NASA AZ @ WHPMP East **Morning Event** - June 3, 2017
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on May 03, 2017 at 00:21:38

NASA AZ @ AMP : April 22-23, 2017
Last post by ramen3pm in GTGs, Sightings and Events on Apr 04, 2017 at 22:45:13

1985 bmw 635 CSI for sale
Last post by bmw325is89 in Classifieds/Wanted on Apr 03, 2017 at 21:44:08

AZBMW Forums › Model Specific Discussion › 5-8 Series › Meet Ares, my E34 540i/6 project daily driver.
Meet Ares, my E34 540i/6 project daily driver.
All things 5, 6, 7 and 8 series
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  5-8 Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mykk540i/6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 pm
Post subject: Meet Ares, my E34 540i/6 project daily driver.

Hey guys, this is project Ares. A 9/95 E34 540i/6 that I picked up a couple of months ago. Found on craigslist phx, the v8 & 6 spd caught my attention. Once I saw the car, the paint and body is a 7-8/10 with a couple of dents and the interior is a 9/10 with one tear in the drivers seat. For the price I thought it could make a cool little project that would eventually be my daily driver and road trip machine.

A previous owner started throwing M badges on it, I was surprised to see M5 door sills. I pulled off the trunk badge.

This is my first experience with BMW's so it's been a learning experience. The car would crank but not fire. I was told it could possible be the anti-theft/chip key. So I bypassed the security by jumping two leads at the EWSII module and replacing the 484 DME with a 404 DME, and cutting the wire at pin 66 on the dme.

I still had crank but no fire. I checked out the fuel pump and found someone's previous repair.

Replaced the fuel pump with a 340lph unit and new harness:

Now I had crank, white smoke from tailpipes during cranking, no fire.

White smoke while cranking usually points to stuck open injectors. Pulled the injectors to find them covered in oil burnt carbon.

A matched set of Bosch II four hole misters were ordered, the intake manifold looked equally as ugly so I pulled it to clean it.

New gaskets, new crankcase vent, replaced the m60 throttlebody with an m62 TB and blocked off the IAC (my preference on OBDI cars). Painted the manifold:

Cranking, spit and sputter, backfiring, no fire. Making progress though.

Compression check revealed 150+ psi on each cylinder.

If this engine were an old school small block chevy with a carburetor and distributor I'd say, by the sound of the cranking and backfiring, that someone installed the distributor off and ignition timing was way off in no mans land.

Then I pulled the harmonic dampener and found that it had been installed 90° off, and had evidence that at one point in time is was mounted 180° off.

I replaced the dampener with a take off from another M60.

It fired right up in half a crank! Sounded like all hell, valve train clattering and massive exhaust leaks. But it was running, I was stoked.

Crawled under the car and found that all of the exhaust hardware was either broken off or missing completely. Replaced hardware, tightened up and sealed the exhaust.

I read online that the M60 oil pumps can have the mounting hardware back themselves out and will have nuts and bolts laying in the bottom of the oil pan. When this happens it will lose oil pressure at idle and not only with the pressure light come on but the valvetrain will get noisey.

Dropped the pan, found a loose nut. I pulled all hardware, cleaned and loctite before torquing to spec.

So now the car fired up, idled smooth and sounded good but was puking massive white smoke from the pipes. I really didn't feel like pulling the heads, plus any machine work would be out of my budget. So I tried a mechanic in a bottle, Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer. To my surprise it stopped 95% of the smoking. I was then left with blue smoke from the exhaust, oil.

I found my new crankcase vent was allowing oil to get sucked into the intake plenum and thus into the cylinders. replacing the OSV behind the timing cover sounded like a pain, so I used an external oil catch can.

When I acquired the vehicle the mechanical fan was shattered into pieces and the fan clutch was in the trunk. I instead mounted and wire two universal electric fans, the radiator had pin holes and was leaking. The water pump was also leaking out of the weep hole. I installed a new radiator and water pump. The heater control valves and aux water pump were shot too, bypassed them with brass fittings.

6K HIDs low beams, LED high beams, clear glass lenses

I've also gone through and checked out the brakes just to make sure, they looked okay so got some paint:

The wooden shift knob pulled off on me so I replaced it with something a bit different:

this is actually the most comfortable and natural feeling shifter I've ever used.

The power steering had been leaking for a while , when I got the car the reservoir was empty. Found the leak at the rubber hoses going to the PS cooler. The cooler is bypassed for now during the winter, in warmer months I'll install a finned cooler up front.

It is still a work in progress, I've got alot to do. Including fixing the BMW seat twist. But really I'm happy with it.

Right now I'm playing with the exhaust system, I cut off the rear muffler and with cats & resonator only it sounded pretty good. When the exhaust system was dropped completely I discovered that the cats were mostly missing, broken up and traveled downstream into the resonator or muffler.

Right now it's got dual 2.25", H-pipe, catless into dual 22" Magnaflow glasspacks. Way to loud and sounds kind of silly at idle and light throttle low rpm cruise. The engine overrun backfires sound like gunshots too. I'll keep the magnaflows in place as resonators but I'm looking for mufflers to mount downstream that will give me a loud but deep, aggressive tone without any rasp.

That's where I'm currently at. Cheers -Mykk
e46tuner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 pm
Post subject: Re: Meet Ares, my E34 540i/6 project daily driver.

Nice thread. Its great to see cars getting well maintained and restored. This car definitely needed it.

ccc13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Well done, and welcome!
Mykk540i/6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks guys.

Just replaced the coolant temp sensor for the DME and the MAF, now officially replaced every sensor on the engine.

I picked up an early B40 intake maniflold with the velocity stacks on the runners in the plenum. I installed it one afternoon, the car felt a bit slower so I re-installed the OE intake. I'm thinking of giving it another try with a bit more road time, let the DME "adapt"....if Bosch Motronic v3.3 can adapt.

I also noticed the early B40 intake had a slightly shorter plenum length, this combined with the space taken up by the stacks. The smaller plenum volume might have been what I felt in the drivers seat. I'm contemplating making my own aluminum CCV and throttlebody spacers in the name of increasing plenum volume. I do not intend to make swirls or lines or twists like gimick spacers on the market for other makes & cars but simply just to increase plenum volume.

Mykk540i/6

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:34 am

Still wrenching. Putting my focus into computer tuning at the moment.

Running an Ostrich 2.0 Chip Emulator with a DUDMD tune, still learning WinOLS/TunerPro to make a couple of tweaks. Once the tune is sound I'll focus on that MAFT-PRO for a speed density conversion.

Motor Mounts were toast: Replaced with RevShift 95A polys

Currently working on replacing those 100lb/each seats for lightweight seats. Then to tear the front end apart and replace some tie rods & control arms.
Mykk540i/6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:48 am

Wrenchin', Wrenchin', Wrenchin'...

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  5-8 Series
Page 1 of 1